Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:31:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress on "Lulu" our lovely HPE!  (Read 41750 times)
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »

Dear Andybeta,
Thanks for your compliments. I note your point about Sachs shocks, however I was offered a pair of fronts from Mark at Beatboyz at reasonable money, and found another rear pair to match up on Ebay elsewhere. In an ideal world yes a new set of Koni's or Billi's would be great, but after searching for the best part of a year to no avail I settled for what I could find (and afford).

I certainly will not be chopping them about any time soon.

The radiator is the original, but I have another Vx item  already restored, pressure tested and sitting on the shelf.

The Discs are not vented, and without changing everything else to suit I am happy with the "fast road upgrade". I am not intending it to visit a track.

As regards the oil crank case breather tube, supercharger pressure relief valve tube and small supercharger vent pump tube, (that all vent into the airbox as standard), As I said in my last piece I have modified a 90mm Tee tube with spigots welded into the bottom. Therefore replicating the original system, (but neater IMHO). The eagle eyed among you will notice that the picture shows one or two pipe not yet connected.

I have not yet mentioned that I have installed a threaded spigot for the supercharger vent pump pipe, as if in the future I go as Guy Croft recommends and discard said scurge pump and opt for a couple of Weber non return valves to vent direct to atmos, then I can cap it of easily at that time.

I hope that answer your reservations.

Best,
Chas. Cool

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
VXdeMayo

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »

Well now the lovely weather is here I hope we are all out moving our projects forward (a little). Latest from darkest Somerset is that the head off the donor VX (with 86,000 miles on the clock) is in good condition. I carefully stripped it down, de - studded it and gave it a good decoke etc. I found that a couple of applications of "Celite Bang" household cleaner worked a treat on the carbon residue, and revealed no major hassles. Number 3 & 4 chamber have a little detonation marking, but nothing bad. In fact the head was so clean for 86,000 miles that I suspect in had had a decoke not long ago before I got it!

Anyway, after checking tolerences on valve stems and cambox journals / buckets etc and found they were all witin a thou or so, I have prepped and sprayed the major parts in silver radiator paint. Hopefully this will cope with the heat. New stainless bolts and washers abound and the top half has now been rebuilt with a 2L I.E inlet cam to match the VX exhaust cam. (Thanks to "Milleman"). GC recommends this as a good value power upgrade. Apparently putting in a I.E exhaust cam will do little but waste extra fuel so I'm told.

To finish off a little black crackle paint has appeared on the cam box covers, well I had it lying about. ....(what a tart!)
Enclosed are a few pics.
Enjoy the summer.
Best,
Chas and Anne. Smiley

* IMG_0614c.jpg (39.49 KB, 581x434 - viewed 748 times.)

* IMG_0616c.jpg (42.33 KB, 585x432 - viewed 804 times.)

* IMG_0617c.jpg (21.06 KB, 323x430 - viewed 823 times.)

* Image0612.jpg (272.33 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 842 times.)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:10:46 PM by VXdeMayo » Logged

Hawk

England England

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 08:00:04 AM »

Nice work  Grin
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »

Chas

Tidy work and the right idea with the IE inlet cam. I just hope my eyes are failing me and you are not resting the head on the valves on that table?? It is incredibly easy to bend valves like that and many heads have been damaged doing so. If it is supported on the outer edges that is fine but other wise please check the valves are not damaged.

Sorry for the worry it is just I have seen it done so often now.

Eric
VXdeMayo

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »

Thanks for your compliments Eric, and yes I was mindful of bending valves etc. The 4 studs were holding it off by more than was needed, and all valves closed as much as the cams would allow. The VX blower has seen some TLC recently, new hose clips, replated unions, new cavis pipe and new stainless nuts and washers all round.

I spoke to Guy Croft about whether a strip service was required, and to his credit he said that in spite of the blower's age of 30 years and seals gradually hardening and loosing their effectiveness, a "watching brief" was all that was needed at present, and to make sure the oil level does not drop at all. That's a relief! What a decent chap he is.

I think I will get him to do a balancing job on the bottom end sometime!

So apart from a few gaskets, the top half of the engine is done for now.
Not sure what's next, gearbox rebuild, drivers seat re - upholster or passenger door reskin?
In the meantime the 124 Spyder is having some time spent on the engine bay before a local car show  on July 7th.

Best,
Chas and Anne.

lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2013, 07:19:55 AM »

I also minded it, and always place wooden blocks under the head at each end.

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
targa2000

England England

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2013, 05:04:20 PM »

Looks very smart Chas, did you have to use a special primer before applying the crackle paint?
PS,
Like the "Fiat" oil filler cap
VXdeMayo

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »

Dear Targa,
It does say on the can "for best results spray onto bare metal". However after a thorough clean and de grease I use some spray etch primer. It just gives a really good surface for the top coats to bind to. Then you don't have problems with "black spray running away from edges".
Makes the job easier and tougher I think.

Fiat oil cap was from Middle Barton Garage trinkets cabinet. A little bit of bling!

Thanks.
Chas. Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: