Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:03:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: boxing day fun  (Read 6384 times)
raz1966

« on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »

i managed to have whole day working on my car on boxing day, another day of 1 step forwards 2 steps backwards. i stripped out the doors and managed to fit replacement mechanisms, so at least the windows wind up and down, unfortunately the trim clips are all duff so i cant refit the door trims yet, also on the drivers door the black plastic part which limits how far the door will open is bust so thats another part to find. next i found a nice period radio on ebay but when i fitted it i found out it did not work,so i need to get it repaired or find another. then i turned to the rear fog light, i wanted to get rid of the front fog lights and just leave the rear one but for some reason the rear one only works when the front ones are fitted, one of my front ones is ok but the other has no bulb or bulb holder so i may need to buy a new pair.
then it was time to get the exhaust sorted, i managed to get a new centre section and i already had a new back box, so out with the ramps and away i go, after much swearing, grinding, hack sawing i got mine off, i managed to snap all off the manafold studs..doh!!!!
the manafold came off quite easy so i shall fit some new studs so no problems there, unfortanetly the centre section i have is for another model, it has 2 boxes whereas mine has only one box. the new one is genuine lancia (82363001) any ideas what model it fits?
raz1966

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »

managed to post a photo in the gallery. any one know where i can get a new middle section ?(one with only one box)
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:12:13 PM »

That's for a series 2 FL 2 could be either coupe or hpe I'll check the part number later although sometimes the numbers on the exhausts do not tally with the parts books .
raz1966

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:55:10 AM »

i thought my car was a series 2 face lift coupe but i am not sure
rossocorsa
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:27:44 AM »

Single box exhaust is correct for series 2 pre Fl2 Fl2 refers to late cars injection and vx
Watshot
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:18:52 AM »

It is a Series 2 Face lift.

Series 2, face lift 2, we used to refer to as Series 3 to avoid this confusion. They were all the injected (i.e) and VX cars with the bigger wrap around bumpers and black chrome etc.

Yours is a 'W' reg, 1980/81, Series 3 appeared in 1982 around the 'Y' plate iirc.
raz1966

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »

managed to get a new correct one from germany, the nos one for later models is on ebay.
rossocorsa
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »

Series 2, face lift 2, we used to refer to as Series 3 to avoid this confusion. They were all the injected (i.e) and VX cars with the bigger wrap around bumpers and black chrome etc.

Yours is a 'W' reg, 1980/81, Series 3 appeared in 1982 around the 'Y' plate iirc.
the correct designations are series 1/series 2/series 2 face lift/series2 face lift 2 however in Italy these were designated series one/two/three or four an i.e. or volumex is series 2Fl2 or series four
rossocorsa
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »

See here http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showthread.php?42-Is-a-coup%EF%BF%BD-FL-or-a-coup%EF%BF%BD-FL2 for a more complete explanation.
rossocorsa
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »

I had a look in my two main parts quick finder books and can't see thsi number but a quick check on the internet suggests it is for HPE, I can check the microfiche if I find time tomorrow afternoon
Watshot
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 01:55:04 AM »

the correct designations are series 1/series 2/series 2 face lift/series2 face lift 2 however in Italy these were designated series one/two/three or four an i.e. or volumex is series 2Fl2 or series four

Yes, we know......
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:01:36 AM by Watshot » Logged
raz1966

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 06:40:59 PM »

beta update

* car ramp.jpg (138.31 KB, 640x480 - viewed 360 times.)

* engine bay.jpg (119.05 KB, 640x480 - viewed 479 times.)

* ramp 2.jpg (131.13 KB, 640x480 - viewed 475 times.)
raz1966

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 07:27:23 PM »

exhaust should be sorted once the middle section arrives from germany,electrics are finished, just got to fit a radio and tidy up the drivers seat and the inside will be done as well, that leaves the brakes which are seized on after standing for 15 years and the suspension which i am not sure about,sorry for the crap photos above it needs a clean.
rossocorsa
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »

Brakes are a bit of a pain to do due to the fancy calliper set up used on the front but rebuild kits turn up on Ebay regularly and don't cost a lot I've even seen new callipers advertised on Ebay art reasonable prices in last few months. suspension isn't difficult to work on but shocks aren't easy to find these days, bushes still seem plentiful. Have you checked your engine and gearbox mounts as they are often past their best? Can be difficult to find new ones but if they are not sorted you will have problems due to uneven distribution of stress on the sub frame and remaining good mountings you may also find cracking under the mount for the gearbox on the subframe very common failing on betas
raz1966

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 07:43:25 PM »

whats the best way to check the engine mounts?
rossocorsa
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:51:04 PM »

you'll need to get underneath and look the one under the cambelt end of the engine suffers a lot from oil leaks, the oil softens the rubber making it like black marshmallow if it looks oily it has probably failed for that reason alone worth keeping on top of oil leaks. The mount at the front of the car that is set onto the subframe is difficult to see I think short of a lot of dismantling, the rubber in this one tends to de-laminate from the metal mount, this one along with the gearbox mount you'll have to just check by visually checking movement. There are also two engine dampers and these often fail either by losing all damping action or by seizing solid you'd probably need to disconnect at one end to try the damping action these are near impossible to find new and scarce good second hand (part of the 'fun' of a Beta the challenge of the rare part hunt).

Alan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: