Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:33:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New member from the Isle of Man  (Read 13337 times)
piacevole1300

« on: June 12, 2011, 12:55:47 AM »

Hi guys! Bought a 1980 Lancia Beta 1300 in beautiful red. It was restored in the early 1990's but she has just been sat in a garage.

She has a problem with the ignition coil so that's getting replaced; she is also running far, far too rich so needs the fuel adjust screw adjusting then the indicators are flashing too fast so it could be the indicator relay? Not sure, hopefully someone can help me  Grin Need to paint those wheels too back to silver can't see the sense in gold  Undecided

Oh and I am going to get her painted in the same colour she is now because the paint is dangerously thin. Tongue

Shame about the rain sorry  Roll Eyes
piacevole1300

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 02:27:10 AM »

Sorry to be a nuisance but is the 1300 Beta coupe rare? I have been trolling through the site and seen people saying there are hardly any around? Thanks guys  Cheesy
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 08:34:51 AM »

Hi, welcome to the exclusive 1300 club. Pretty sure we are in single figures in the UK. Your wheels need to be just silver if you want them original. Not sure there is much adjustment on the carb. Is the auto choke sticking?
piacevole1300

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 11:57:51 AM »

Hi, welcome to the exclusive 1300 club. Pretty sure we are in single figures in the UK. Your wheels need to be just silver if you want them original. Not sure there is much adjustment on the carb. Is the auto choke sticking?

wow didn't know it was that low! Well the Isle of man has 1 Lancia Beta now (the one I own) , used to be 3 but one got scrapped ages ago and the other got scrapped a month ago which I tried saving to no avail, it was heart breaking  Sad

Yeah I will put them just silver with the hubcaps, don't know why anyone ruined a perfectly good car with spray painting them (badly) gold?!  Lips Sealed

Yeah I didn't think there was either when I was poking around. The primary choke did seem a little sticky when I took it off the car but far from needing heavy force to move it but I put it down to that the spring was quite strong keeping it closed. Is it supposed to be very easy to open or as I have described?
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 12:09:06 PM »

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, the 1300's are very few and far between.  So it's good to see another on the road, especially as 2012 is the 40th anniversary of the Beta.

As for the problems you mentioned. 
There is a mixture adjustment on the carb but you'd have to confirm which carb is fitted before we can say for sure where it's located.  Is it weber or solex etc.

I'd get the car fully serviced and full of fresh premium fuel first before adjusting anything.

The indicators flashing fast is usually a bad earth, especially as the cars not been used regularly.  Are all the indicators flashing? The front earth points are located by each headlight. They are round and will have about 8 black wires attached.  Clean those connections!   Rear earth is behind the carpet on the rear panel on passenger side, again round with multiple wires. Start with the earths before replacing anything.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Matt

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 12:14:08 PM »

If all indicators are flashing and the relay is shot then you'll find the relay attached to the bulkhead by the steering column, get ready to contort yourself!!

Fingers crossed it's just bad earths.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 06:54:03 PM »

I have split this thread as it has gone way off topic and beyond saying hello & welcome etc.

The new thread has also been moved to the Electrical section under Indicator Fast Flashing issue.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
piacevole1300

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 07:05:29 PM »

I have split this thread as it has gone way off topic and beyond saying hello & welcome etc.

The new thread has also been moved to the Electrical section under Indicator Fast Flashing issue.
Thanks Matt  Grin
AndrewJ

Hungary Hungary

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 09:16:28 AM »

Congratulations  Wink

I have the same Beta - '81 1300 Rosso Corsa in Hungary. But your Beta's condition seems to be much better then the condition of mine. I think,that Beta coupes with 1300 engine are rare until the '82 serie.

On the german Beta site you can find german Beta statistics:
http://lancia-beta.de/bestand/zulass-d.htm

There are no Betas with 1300 engine from our serie there. Fortunately I already have found some other Hungarian beta owners, and one of them also has an '81 1300 coupé - but in golden colour.

http://forum.lanciak.hu/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21.0;attach=642;image
http://forum.lanciak.hu/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21.0;attach=644;image

1981 Beta Coupe 1300
1998 Fiat Punto Cabrio 1.2 16V
piacevole1300

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 10:16:40 AM »

Congratulations  Wink

I have the same Beta - '81 1300 Rosso Corsa in Hungary. But your Beta's condition seems to be much better then the condition of mine. I think,that Beta coupes with 1300 engine are rare until the '82 serie.

On the german Beta site you can find german Beta statistics:
http://lancia-beta.de/bestand/zulass-d.htm

There are no Betas with 1300 engine from our serie there. Fortunately I already have found some other Hungarian beta owners, and one of them also has an '81 1300 coupé - but in golden colour.

http://forum.lanciak.hu/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21.0;attach=642;image
http://forum.lanciak.hu/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21.0;attach=644;image
Hi Andrew

Yeah they seem very rare and the 2000's seem to be the most popular.
The reason for the condition of my Beta is that it has never really been used, most of the 36,000 miles was done before its restoration then it was left in a shed and only started to idle but never drove so she has fared the years.

Thanks for that statistic site although my German is not the best, Google Translate helped to understand better and it is a very interesting read, thank you.

I nearly fainted when I seen that engine bay it is so immaculate and only wish mine was so neat but unfortunately someone has rust proofed the surrounding edges and suspension struts and also things need painting (like the top water rail and air-box) but that one in the picture is to die for!

The owner of that Lancia must really take self pride in his Lancia because it has that show room condition look (that I envy).

Thanks once again for the photos and the stat sheet!
AndrewJ

Hungary Hungary

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 06:54:50 AM »

Hi Andrew

Yeah they seem very rare and the 2000's seem to be the most popular.
The reason for the condition of my Beta is that it has never really been used, most of the 36,000 miles was done before its restoration then it was left in a shed and only started to idle but never drove so she has fared the years.

Thanks for that statistic site although my German is not the best, Google Translate helped to understand better and it is a very interesting read, thank you.

I nearly fainted when I seen that engine bay it is so immaculate and only wish mine was so neat but unfortunately someone has rust proofed the surrounding edges and suspension struts and also things need painting (like the top water rail and air-box) but that one in the picture is to die for!

The owner of that Lancia must really take self pride in his Lancia because it has that show room condition look (that I envy).

Thanks once again for the photos and the stat sheet!

Yes the owner of that Beta is a real fanatic - later he bought another beta - an FL2 2000 coupe and now he wants to restore also that car. The only problem is that he lives in the other side of the country, so it's not easy for us to meet personally.

When I watch the photos of the English Betas I usually must realise that the Betas in your country have much more luck and respect than the betas by us. Most of the Hungarian betas are in bad condition - also my beta, but I'm working hard on it  Wink. Now the engine is waiting for dissassembling before some body work and repainting..   

* b.JPG (187.96 KB, 800x600 - viewed 456 times.)

1981 Beta Coupe 1300
piacevole1300

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 01:38:57 PM »

Yes the owner of that Beta is a real fanatic - later he bought another beta - an FL2 2000 coupe and now he wants to restore also that car. The only problem is that he lives in the other side of the country, so it's not easy for us to meet personally.

When I watch the photos of the English Betas I usually must realise that the Betas in your country have much more luck and respect than the betas by us. Most of the Hungarian betas are in bad condition - also my beta, but I'm working hard on it  Wink. Now the engine is waiting for dissassembling before some body work and repainting..   
Haha well I do love my Beta (even though its giving me a headache) and I find a clean and a polish keeps her looking A1. Wink Aw, poor Beta's; are they just used at daily transport rather than a cherished motor? Yeah she isn't looking her best but I put all my trust in you that you will get her looking gleaming!  Grin I can't wait for the finished result!
AndrewJ

Hungary Hungary

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 11:28:01 AM »

Haha well I do love my Beta (even though its giving me a headache) and I find a clean and a polish keeps her looking A1. Wink Aw, poor Beta's; are they just used at daily transport rather than a cherished motor? Yeah she isn't looking her best but I put all my trust in you that you will get her looking gleaming!  Grin I can't wait for the finished result!

I think that most Betas were hobby cars also by us - but they were too old and too cheap, so many beta was owned by young men - maybe as first car. They did't have enough money and expertise to restore them.. For good work I need freetime and money, so my car won't be ready for the next week  Wink..

1981 Beta Coupe 1300
piacevole1300

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 07:20:49 PM »

I think that most Betas were hobby cars also by us - but they were too old and too cheap, so many beta was owned by young men - maybe as first car. They did't have enough money and expertise to restore them.. For good work I need freetime and money, so my car won't be ready for the next week  Wink..
I may be 17 but no way would I treat a car to what some teenagers and young men treat cars to especially a Beta and it just makes me sad. Yeah I could see that it's a horrible thought then they would just scrap them.  Haha true, takes a lot of money and free time but I'll be keeping a close eye on the restoration when it happens.  Grin
AndrewJ

Hungary Hungary

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »

I may be 17 but no way would I treat a car to what some teenagers and young men treat cars to especially a Beta and it just makes me sad. Yeah I could see that it's a horrible thought then they would just scrap them.  Haha true, takes a lot of money and free time but I'll be keeping a close eye on the restoration when it happens.  Grin

I write a small blog about the restoration, but it is a Hungarian language blog. Anyway I can link you the latest photos from the blog  Wink
https://picasaweb.google.com/MyKappa2.4/NewBetaPics#

1981 Beta Coupe 1300
piacevole1300

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »

I write a small blog about the restoration, but it is a Hungarian language blog. Anyway I can link you the latest photos from the blog  Wink
She is coming on beautiful!
cheeky monkey

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »

Nice sandblasting!

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: