Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:52:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox oil  (Read 8185 times)
steptoe

« on: September 23, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »

Hi all, what gearbox oil do you guys use on the Betas?

I have a Strada Abarth and had to buy a lot of Tutela ZC90 recently as i couldnt find it anywhere for sale!

If this oil is compatable with your boxes and you want any oil please let me know at contactstrada@strada130.co.uk

Its pretty cheap!

Thanks and sorry if this is in the wrong place or breaks the rules - if so please delete / move etc

thanks a lot

RUST RUST RUST
SQUEAK RATTLE SQUEAK
RUST RUST RUST
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:27:45 AM »

If you search the Forum I'm sure someone has mentioned a full synthetic that cures the boxes obstructiveness when cold. Otherwise I can't see why the oil you bought for your Strada wouldn't be fine - it's practically the same powertrain isn't it?
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:25:14 PM »

stiff gear change is often the result of incorrect gear oil ZC90 is the correct stuff
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:10:39 PM »

Chaps

ZC90 is the original sync ring friendly Fiat spec and is actually a 80w/90 Mineral based Gear Oil. It is fine but these days Redline 75w/90 NS is better from cold shift to being thrashed hot in race cars like Geoff Ward's racing Montecarlo and my road going 200BHP one. However it is more important to change it at all and so many boxes are full of black/brown carbon sludge I can recommend using ZC90 for 1000 miles and draining it hot to clean the box up before fitting the Redline. If you can remove the diff cover and end cover and physically clean including the crud catcher in the diff casing even better. I have parts from 7 boxes in the workshop currently so I have seen plenty of rank old gearoil!

So if you have no idea when your gearoil was last changed, but the pennys are tight buy some ZC90 and find out how good these boxes can be without sludge and swarf. NB often the oil looks golden on the dipstick with the sludge below.

Eric
Building a hybrid Montecarlo/ Beta 2000/VX gearbox right now to lose the Monte low first gear, retain the higher MC final drive and use the stronger VX secondary shaft and later needle roller gears throughout. This is for my 187BHP engine.
Grundo

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »

A little advice please guys. I've recently installed a colotti LSD into my VX gearbox. I used the oil recommended by Colotti which was Shell Spirax oil (previously Shell XGO 75 90). Since installation and running, the gear changes are not flash. Changing into second is the worst, especially downshifting and reverse is also quite difficult to engage.

Could this be due to the oil or do I need to adjust the gear linkages?
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:16:40 PM »

Grundo

It is very likely to be the friction modifier in the oil stopping the brass sync cones from gripping properley. With Plate type LSDs it is a balancing act I have a Gripper LSD fitted in my gearbox for the Volumetrico engine and previously ran this in the Montecarlo. You can use RedLine 75w 90 NS and add Red Line friction modifier in measured quantities to balance plate chatter and snatch vs gear shift quality. Start at 4% by volume and try that. Obviously check the gearlinkages first particularly that they are all well greased with no play.

Eric     
Grundo

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 09:53:54 AM »

That's great thank you. Any chance you know what size the washers are on the transmission plug?
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 04:27:49 PM »

Grundo

There are no washers on my transmission plugs they are tapered plugs that seal as the are tightened into their holes and there are 2. 1 on the base of the gear casing and 1 on the end of the diff casing.

Eric
VXdeMayo

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »

Dear All,
having tracked down some original Tutela ZC90 for my Beta gearbox I was wondering how much I need for a complete oil swap on the gearbox? I suspect that 2 litres is enough, but the Strada boxes use 3.5l, so I am confused.
Any advise would be helpful.
best,
Chas,
(VxdeMAYO). Smiley

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »

1.7 litres or 1.67 if you want to be ultra precise.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: