Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:33:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: air filter  (Read 5076 times)
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 08, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »

Hi all,

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket air filter to their VX? I know you can get a KN filter to drop straight into the original airbox but what I mean is one of those KNs that sit right on top of the carb like the image below.
I'm not sure whether there is sufficient room to fit one yet, or how to duct cold air to it. Or if there isn't room right on the top of the carb maybe a KN induction kit mounted elsewhere in the engine bay... could that be made to work? I don't want to lose a single horse but not particularly bothered if it didn't gain any... I just want to lose that big ugly metal box that spoils the view of the lovely old twincam. I'm only at the pondering stage. The original airbox is seriously ugly innit...? Most standard airboxes are, of course, not just the VX's.

Any thoughts?

Andrew.

* IMG_1701.jpg (21.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 714 times.)

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »

I wouldn't bother space is very tight and you might end up sucking in warmer air you are going to go very non standard under the bonnet I'd fit a dcoe and do away with all the other gubbins but that is tight for space too. 
spud

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »

Yes, well, as you know I was thinking about a DCNF or DCOE fitment at some point. I assume that whatever I fitted filter-wise would still be applicable for the DCNF as it's almost physically identical to standard but what is the usual filter set up for a DCOE?

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »

this was an HPE I bought for spares some while back with dcoe fitted, I was going to transfer it all into my car but decided it looked too far from original and not very tidy, also the car had very bad low rev flat spots and I wasn't sure I'd ever sort it out it was crazy tyre smokin' when it was on cam though.....
http://lancisti.net/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/677
The DCNF fits directly on the original manifold but is very slightly larger in most dimensions except there is no auto choke sticking out the side!  

The other problem with the dcoe was that the air intake is very close to the front slam panel (a smaller radiator has to be fitted to allow enough space) the car had a foam filter but I felt it was too tight for space I think a custom made air box would really be needed. As regards the standard carb I think I would look to use the original adaptor from the top of the carb and add a different feed to that with a remote filter however I felt that it was better not to get too ambitious and I was also slightly concerned about carb icing in colder weather it's up to you of course but modification can become a never ending chase for the holy grail that's why I changed direction and because I don't have the skills knowledge and ability to do a lot of it properly 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 11:09:42 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
spud

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:52:37 PM »

Thanks very much for posting that- very informative. I've never seen a Beta with a DCOE fitted. It does look tight doesn't it?! You still got it...?

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 11:18:10 PM »

Thanks very much for posting that- very informative. I've never seen a Beta with a DCOE fitted. It does look tight doesn't it?! You still got it...?

Andrew.

I still have the engine and gearbox but I sold all the dcoe bits on ebay to aid my always dodgy cashflow, the car itself was pretty terminal front screen pillars were rotten half way up the screen(!!) wasn't worth saving although strangely the rear strut pillars/inner wheelarch weren't all that bad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: