Lancia Beta Forum
March 19, 2024, 11:57:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What the .....?  (Read 2758 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: April 11, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »

Can anyone advise me of what's gone wrong?
I spent yesterday finishing rebuilding my second caliper and the master cylinder. I took today off to refit them along with the goodridge hoses and when I bled the system, I had brakes.
Now the thing is that when I started the engine, the pedal went to the floor.
I tried bleeding them again, but without any change.
Also, pumping the pedal makes no difference.
I thought the piston might be travelling farther in the cylinder with the servo working, thereby needing additional bleeding but that seems not to be the case.
I only experienced something like this once before when I pushed caliper pistons back without opening the bleed nipples to fit new pads on a car and then had to change the master cylinder. Needless to say, I never did that again
I didn't touch the servo other than to remove the master cylinder and obviously, (I think) I have vaccum as the engine isn't over-revving on idle and there are no hisses to be heard.
I did fit a new "o" ring on the back of the cylinder before refitting it so what's gone wrong?
All ideas welcome  Huh?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:27:16 AM by droptop » Logged

Rust never sleeps
droptop

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »

All right everyone, you can relax!
I removed and dismantled the master cylinder again and could find nothing wrong. I didn't expect to, but you never know.
As it turned out, there was a massive amount of air in the system and I bled it first at the master cylinder, then where the steel brake lines meet the flexible ones, and finally at the wheel cylinders.
Couldn't believe the froth that came out. Thought I'd used Guinness instead of brake fluid!
Anyway, the drama seems over for now.  Cheesy
I am going to set the ignition timing now that the inner steel guard is off on the drivers' side as it was only a best guess since I set it up last year.
Heater core is now leaking as well, so that is about to be bypassed. I seriously doubt I will suffer from the windscreen misting up wit the amount of fresh air passing througt the cabin.
Hopefully I won't need it as secondary engine cooling either as the electric fan functions well. (fmous last words)

Rust never sleeps
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

Sounds like you could do with a pint  Grin

Great progress!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
droptop

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:17:58 PM »

Could do with several, Matt!
Still, all part of a great education called LIFE!
Hindsight also tells me I probably could have bled the system in the case of the replaced master cylinder previously mentioned.
If my engine mount arrives soon, I will be able to road test the thing and post the results here if it was a successful rebuild or via Ouiji board if they fail!

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: