Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:55:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Baffled sump for US spec 1981 Beta coupe  (Read 3605 times)
Radical Racing

« on: February 25, 2011, 12:53:34 AM »

I have decided to use a local race car parts fabricator to create a baffled sump for my 1981 Beta coupe track day project.

I bought Guy Crofts book and hence have the photos of the baffled sump he created for Beta's.   I want to duplicate it and most of it seems pretty simple.  However I am going to need some dimensions or better yet simple drawings in order to create the oval shaped cut out in the windage tray to clear the oil pickup horn.   

I have a spare Scorpion block I was going to take to the fabriction shop for him to use as a template but discovered this morning it is missing the pickup horn.

Is there anything impotant about how closely this oval cut out matches the shape of the pickup horn?   If not close we can possible just estimate and make it work.   

Todd
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »

Hi Todd,

If you can hang on a few days I will scan the template I made for my sump and post it on the forum. There are some pics of my sump under tuning & competition - 2L uprated engine rebuild.

I cut the base off an old sump and then worked from that. I presume your engine is a 2 litre? The 1800 has a smaller sump and different crankcase shape.

Cheers

Ian
Radical Racing

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »

Ian:  I could really use that template now.  The fabricator has gone as far as he can without it.   Neither of us want to cut and fit and cut and fit etc. especially since the motor is still in the car and getting the pan in and out is a REAL pain due to interference with the subframe.

Thank you.

Todd
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:55:47 PM »

Sorry for the delay, have hunted high and low but it looks like the Garage cleaner has been in and I can't find that template.......I suspended the engine/box on a beam across the strut towers then dropped the subframe and top strut mounts to gain access

I would also recommend using an accusump with the Beta, as even with a baffled sump I still got oil surge once I used sticky tyres (Toyo R888) and uprated suspension.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: