Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:36:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Master Cylinder  (Read 2750 times)
The_Matrix_Master

« on: February 21, 2011, 01:25:41 PM »

The brakes on my Spyder have gone a bit "Spongy" !
1st press of the brake pedal and there is a fair amount of travel 2nd imeadiate press of the brake pedal and the brakes are back at their best.
Since there is no discernable drop in the brake fluid and I cannot find any leaks at the pipes or nipples I an assuming the master cylinder is on its way out ?
As a new cylinder is about £85 and repair kit is about £15. I thought I would go down the repair kit route.
Does anyone know if the Beta Spyder repair kit is comparable with a later day car ? The fiat X19 cylinder and repair kit is compatable with the Montecarlo but not the Beta Spyder.
Can I buy this kit over the counter at a local motor factor as I can see the kits on the web for around £15 in the UK for the Beta Spyder but they want £5 P&P for what is basically rubbers that you could send in an envelope at the cost of a 1st class stamp.
I have found a kit in the States for $12 but they wanted an unbelievalble $35 to ship it LOL
Cheers
 Undecided
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:12:35 PM »

original part number was 82293524 or 82369266 it is common to Gamma and possibly (not 100% sure) to Fiat ritmo/strada 130tc

have you tried a really thorough bleed using an easibleed or similar device and renewed your fluid?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:55:01 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
JoeBeta

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:23:13 PM »

Would agree, sounds like you just have some air in the system.
It can sometimes take several attempts at bleeding to get all the air out.

I would have thought if it was the master cylinder, the peddle would continually drop with constant pressure???
The_Matrix_Master

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »

Thanks guys.I never really considered that the problem may be down to air in the system or fluid past its best (Doh!).
It seems a sensible place to start.I will renew the fluid and bleed as see where I get.
Cheers
 Smiley
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:06:11 PM »

Over time the brake fluid absorbs water/moisture and becomes less effective.

Start with furthest caliper from master cylinder and flush through until new fluid comes through the bleed nipple.

If it's still spongy then M/C might need to be replaced. But do the fluid first as people have suggested.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:52:48 AM by MattNoVAT » Logged

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: