Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:03:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Protective treatment for subframe  (Read 4880 times)
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Graham Stewart

« on: February 16, 2011, 06:12:53 PM »

Later this year the engine of my Beta Spider will be coming out of the chassis for a complete stripdown and renovation. While that's happening I'm keen to remove the subframe and do my best to protect it against the ravages of rot in the future.

I was thinking of removing it, getting it blasted and then hot-dip galvanised. After that I'd probably either coat it in car body underseal, epoxy mastic or get it powder coated (possibly a bit OTT). Is there a possibility the subframe could warp with the heat of the galvanising process, or are there any other flaws in my cunning plan?

All suggestions welcome...

Graham

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:03 PM »

The subframe is plenty chunky enough to cope with hot dip galv though I don't know how well it would take on the inside of the sections unless you could get them really well cleaned on the crud that's probably built up in there.

Powder coating would also work well but suffers from the same issue of getting inside the sections.

The best solution is probably immersive chemical stripping then immersion coating or hot dipping - similar to what Surface Processing do though I'm sure there are others that can do smaller bits like this.

Alternativeley buy the brand new one on e-Bay !
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 11:38:12 PM »

I've searched on UK and German eBay and can't see this - perhaps someone has already snapped it up?

From what you say, I reckon chemical stripping followed by hot-dip galv looks the best way forward. If I'm feeling really flush I might get it powder coated on top of the galv...

2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
rossocorsa
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:14:32 AM »

I've searched on UK and German eBay and can't see this - perhaps someone has already snapped it up?

From what you say, I reckon chemical stripping followed by hot-dip galv looks the best way forward. If I'm feeling really flush I might get it powder coated on top of the galv...

would powder coating take over galvanising? I know that it is a difficult surface to paint unless weathered
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lancia-Beta-CHASSIS-AVANT-FRONT-SUBFRAME-NF-DORIGINE-/370484857002?pt=JG_FR_Auto_Pi%C3%A8ces&hash=item56429e48aa

rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 10:49:09 AM »

I think it is possible that not all subframes are the same, if I recall correctly S1 frames have the rear mountings closer together, anyone thinking to buy should find out the part number to be 100% sure or at least check the dimensions for the rear mountings
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 11:43:12 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »

Yes, I know that my subframe has an additional secton welded on to the front crossmember specifically to jack on. That isn't present on the eBay one. Besides which, it was sold about 20 minutes before I looked...

I'm pretty sure in my own mind now that blasting and galvanising is the way forward. Following that, a liberal coating of flexible underbody seal should do the trick.

2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:55:23 AM »

Graham,

PM sent
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »

would powder coating take over galvanising? I know that it is a difficult surface to paint unless weathered
Yes, I've heard that as well. I'm now tending more to the idea of brush coating the galv with Rustbuster's Epoxy Mastic. That would be a pretty good belt and braces solution, I think.

2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
andybeta

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:27:33 AM »

I got a replacement subframe for my HPE VX from Ebay, not that the exisitng one was bad it was just easier. The dreaded Ebay replacement was described as mint although you can guess it wasn't. It was still ok, jnot rotten, but some one had attempted to refurb it, have blasted it and then rather poorly powder coated it. So I had it re-blasted then a local metal works seam welded on thick plates to the lower cross members that run under the engine and gearbox which are commonly used as jacking points. They did a brilliant job also retaining the drain holes to it all looks like standard except it is now a lot stronger. They then arranged for it to be taken back to the powder coaters to be done properly. Total cost £80. Bargain.

I then filled it with Supertrol.
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »

So I had it re-blasted then a local metal works seam welded on thick plates to the lower cross members that run under the engine and gearbox which are commonly used as jacking points. They did a brilliant job also retaining the drain holes to it all looks like standard except it is now a lot stronger.
What a splendid idea. You're right, they do get used as jacking points and beefing them up would be a fine idea. What thickness of extra steel did they use?

With the subframe off I could get the exact dimensions for the plates to be welded on (cut-outs and all) and get them water-jet cut at a place near me. This definitely has the makings of a plan...

2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
andybeta

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 04:24:44 AM »

So I had it re-blasted then a local metal works seam welded on thick plates to the lower cross members that run under the engine and gearbox which are commonly used as jacking points. They did a brilliant job also retaining the drain holes to it all looks like standard except it is now a lot stronger.
What a splendid idea. You're right, they do get used as jacking points and beefing them up would be a fine idea. What thickness of extra steel did they use?

With the subframe off I could get the exact dimensions for the plates to be welded on (cut-outs and all) and get them water-jet cut at a place near me. This definitely has the makings of a plan...

I don't know what thickness they used I would guess 2-3mm. I don't think mine were laser cut ...... The metal works I took it to were used to dealing with large stuff like gantries, huge farm machinery. I had actually met the owner of the works at the blasters where I took many of the suspension parts to be blasted and re-powder coated. He happened to be picking stuff up as well and was genuinely interested in what I was doing, that it was a Lancia, and invited me to bring the subframe over to his workshops once it was blasted and he would get couple of his chaps to sort out the dented cross members and make it look brand new again. They did a superb job. Then it was re-powder coated. All for £80. I have the original subframe which I have been meaning to get done as well but have never got around to it as it is just a spare now.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 04:26:32 AM by andybeta » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: