Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:19:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Struts  (Read 18759 times)
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« on: January 29, 2011, 05:48:20 PM »

There seems to be a steady stream (including from myself) of requests for replacement suspension struts, particularly for Coupes. Has the time not come to source a reliable supply of these items amongst ourselves?
I noticed that Rosso Corsa had some handsome yellow struts fitted as part of his resto, where were these from?
I've had no trouble sourcing a full set of NOS inserts, but at least two of my struts (the leaky ones of course!) are sealed units. I know that Betaboyz offer a conversion part but assume that this involves some element of machining?
All comments welcome.
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:17:23 PM »

quite a few have appeared on ebay :

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=lancia+beta+shock+absorbers&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Geoff
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »

Geoff

Yeah, when you read it though they're just the inserts, as I said these are pretty easy to get hold of, it's the struts themselves that are the problem.

Neil
rossocorsa
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 09:23:54 AM »

There seems to be a steady stream (including from myself) of requests for replacement suspension struts, particularly for Coupes. Has the time not come to source a reliable supply of these items amongst ourselves?
I noticed that Rosso Corsa had some handsome yellow struts fitted as part of his resto, where were these from?
I've had no trouble sourcing a full set of NOS inserts, but at least two of my struts (the leaky ones of course!) are sealed units. I know that Betaboyz offer a conversion part but assume that this involves some element of machining?
All comments welcome.

my struts are definitely Orange (konis!! quite scarce these days) I think you are confusing another members rebuild
rachaeljf

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »

Has anyone looked at Tipo/Dedra/155 struts? I have a pair in the shed and they look very similar to Beta front struts. I haven't had a chance to compare them side by side yet. They might at least be adaptable and would give a current (almost) supply of replacements.

Cheers R
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »

I don't think they are anything similar I had a dedra turbo and later a delta hpe hf and don't recall the struts being anything like Beta ones
rachaeljf

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:14:08 PM »

Well I just went out and had a look. They are different, the Beta hub carrier's strut mounting upstand is a couple of mm thicker and the clamp bolt centres are a couple of mm further apart than the 155's. The angle of the bolts is probably slightly different too so the camber would be cocked up. I dare say the strut body brackets could be spread and the holes altered to suit.

I recently had some X1/9 coilover struts made up by AVO. You will see they now offer them in their range of conversion kits. They are around £600 for the four. Would that be an option?

I also have the assistance of a large fabrication/machining company, as I do a bit of design work for them. I could possibly get new strut bodies made to suit modern standardised inserts from the likes of Koni and Bilstein. They will be making some adjustable top mounts for me soon, which is something else people might be interested in.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 08:21:43 AM »

Are you saying AVO actually fabricate new struts to order?
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 08:29:10 AM »

my struts are definitely Orange (konis!! quite scarce these days) I think you are confusing another members rebuild
[/quote]

Yeah, must be a touch of colour blindness, it was definately your car. I take it that the Koni struts aren't still generally available?
rachaeljf

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:18 PM »

Are you saying AVO actually fabricate new struts to order?

Yes of course. AVO, Leda, Gaz and the like will all make struts to order. They won't be cheap, but they will make bodies able to take standard diameter inserts and springs, or rebuildable coilovers if you want that type.

Unfortunately there will be no cheap/easy solution if spares are no longer mass produced.  For me, if I were going to spend on making struts rebuildable I would go for adjustable coilovers. Then there is no need for bespoke "lowering" springs; you can choose suitable rate springs off the shelf and set your ride height and firmness as you wish.

What exactly do people want? If we are looking for a source of strut body conversion parts as offered in the shop, I can probably get them, or even get strut bodies converted, at a reasonable price. If people want coilovers at around £600 a set, I will happily take a couple of struts to AVO and get some made, all they need is a pattern.

WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 07:32:06 PM »

Rachael

Excellent post and just what I need. I have already rang Leda and been told £1400 for a car set of coilovers!! I am building a serious engine for this car so coilovers with adjustable bump/rebound and 2.5inch springs on adjustable platforms are important. As is front end camber adjustment to introduce 1.5 - 2.5 negative camber on my Power Steer VX Beta Spyder. If AVO can design in an ecentric cam on the top hub hole as we use on Montecarlos with Ledas that would be great. On the rear camber adjustment can be achieved by using 4 adjustable links not 2 pressed 2 adjustable. I have Beta Boyz poly moulded rear strut top mounts and these might need a different top unit to nest the coilover spring. Please PM me as this might be better than the conversation I was about to have with GAZ. I have plenty of spare hubs if that would help them develop these.

PS if I can get this sorted I will be selling a car set of very tidy Beta struts (minus top mounts) with new BB lowering springs and new Spax adjustable inserts all round. I could even have them powder coated to the new owners colour preference.   

Eric

For most owners finding a strut body with removable inserts to convert the mounts on is probably the way to go although Mark W's approach of converting sealed strut bodies for inserts is very sensible. 
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 08:33:43 PM »

Eric,

I have an interesting design bolt that adjusts the toe at the rear of my 406 coupe. I suspect it would do an excellent job of camber adjustment in Beta struts front and rear with a minor mod to the bolt holes.

I'll get you a picture - it might give you another option.

Stuart
thecolonel
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 11:26:58 PM »

Just a note: if you lower the rear, you may find the struts sit very close to the tyre
ok unless you're throwing around a track.

My hard coilovers saved my car/life this week, a car pulled out from a side road
whilst a LWB Transit was coming towards me, I just managed to get around the
car and back to n/side before stopping alongside the transit, very little roll and no
diving under braking. Certainly could not have done it in a normal Gamma coupe.

Geoff
andybeta

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 01:58:51 AM »

Rachael

Excellent post and just what I need. I have already rang Leda and been told £1400 for a car set of coilovers!! I am building a serious engine for this car so coilovers with adjustable bump/rebound and 2.5inch springs on adjustable platforms are important. As is front end camber adjustment to introduce 1.5 - 2.5 negative camber on my Power Steer VX Beta Spyder. If AVO can design in an ecentric cam on the top hub hole as we use on Montecarlos with Ledas that would be great. On the rear camber adjustment can be achieved by using 4 adjustable links not 2 pressed 2 adjustable. I have Beta Boyz poly moulded rear strut top mounts and these might need a different top unit to nest the coilover spring. Please PM me as this might be better than the conversation I was about to have with GAZ. I have plenty of spare hubs if that would help them develop these.

PS if I can get this sorted I will be selling a car set of very tidy Beta struts (minus top mounts) with new BB lowering springs and new Spax adjustable inserts all round. I could even have them powder coated to the new owners colour preference.    

Eric

For most owners finding a strut body with removable inserts to convert the mounts on is probably the way to go although Mark W's approach of converting sealed strut bodies for inserts is very sensible.  

Hi Eric,

Wow £1,400!!! Didn't Leda go bust or did they make a phoenix like resurrection? No wonder quoting prices like that. One would think they priced the job so high as they didn't want the work .........

Although it's very much off my radar at the moment, a set of AVO coilovers for the Beta seems a very good price. I wonder what you get for this?

How's the 'project Spider VX' coming on? Will it be ready for the summer?

Andrew
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:00:59 AM by andybeta » Logged
rossocorsa
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »

I don't know if they have ever done anything for Betas but these guys are reckoned to be very good and not overly expensive either http://www.protechshocks.co.uk/
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 09:36:13 PM »

With my latest project I had chat with Mark W and then some time to deliberate on the best plan to move forward, I have decided to take my sealed struts off the car and convert both front and rear to insert type using the Beta Parts Service.  As sealed units are becoming uber rare the inserts are the sensible way (IMO) to go. 

This takes out all future expense and aggro. Given that I can buy the parts to convert for £180 and then just buy new inserts.  I'll have mine shot blasted, powder coated and the conversion parts welded on but only needs doing that once, so it's not an ongoing cost.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 11:58:46 PM »

Matt - Keep asking but what do you mean by 'The Beta Parts Service'? Are you referring to the collar that is sold on the Betaboyz site? Is this welded onto a sealed strut so it will accept an insert? How are this insides of the sealed unit removed? Who does/knows how to do the welding referred to?

Am I being a bit thick?

Neil
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »

Yes I'm referring to the Betaboyz consortium that Mark runs.  Yes, also referring to the conversion collars that are welded on after the tops of sealed units are cut off.

I don't know if Mark supplies measurements so that buyers can do it themselves/give it to a local fabricator. But he can do the conversion for you if you send him your struts. I think he does an exchange service but check with Mark on that point.

To my mind, I have to start thinking differently. New sealed struts are unavailable, so it makes complete sense to convert to inserts.

I may well buy the conversion collars and have my fabricator do the conversion then I'll write up the "how to" procedure with all the key measurements included. Provided Mark is OK with this.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
spud

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 05:37:15 PM »

I've had no trouble sourcing a full set of NOS inserts...

Really? Where from? I can't find ANY ANYWHERE. KYB, Sachs-Boge, Monroe, ALL obsolete, ALL no longer available. I'm currently awaiting information from lancia.co.za regarding availability but apart from that I can't find any apart from the Spax.

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »

There's always new/old stock being advertised on ebay from time to time. If you want endless adjustability from original road stiffness to full on rock hard, spax are well worth the money IMHO.
Marcus.

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: