Lancia Beta Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:57:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: POR 15 Treatment  (Read 55 times)
SanRemo78

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 20, 2024, 06:40:53 PM »

Looks like I’ll be treating the tank to this process in the next few days. But before I do I had a look into the tank through the sender hole and noted a swirl pot in there underneath the pick up pipe. There are two curved pipes feeding in from either side. I’ve tried feeding a wire through them but not sure I can get it through the ends into the main tank. Has anyone ever opened up a tank able to tell me how long these tubes are? Obviously a little concerned that tank sealer might block these pipes rendering the last couple of gallons unusable!
Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
Nigel

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 10:11:35 PM »

Guy,
The later tanks, coupled with the later fuel pickups (together with
the fuel level sender without pipe) had a mesh filter which you can't see
from above. This mesh is quite fine, and would probably be blocked with POR15.

I think yours will be the earlier version, with the fuel delivery from
the sender unit. If that's your type, I don't think it will be an issue.

I suggest using an old speedo cable inner/s to keep the pipes open, turning and moving
during the curing time.

Best wishes,
Nigel

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
SanRemo78

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 10:46:00 PM »

Cheers Nigel, I've got a NOS fuel sender that's identical to the one I just destroyed today, it wasn't giving a reading on a gauge and was gummed up, the filter was in the bottom of the tank too but easily retrieved. I'd tried a bike handbrake cable through the various pipes on the tank but struggled to get it through these 2 pipes inside the tank - until I found a piece of copper brake pipe I could pass it through and then bend to get at the ends of the pipes through the sender hole. I suspect they're just full of crud at the moment and that the tank cleaner will dissolve all that.

The idea of an old speedo cable is an excellent one - I was thinking of using a dremel cable, it's the same thing but an old speedo cable is a much better idea plus it's disposable! I think I might even have a bit of old fire extinguisher pipe to use as a guide for it. I feel a plan coming together!

I was struggling with getting a bung to seal the filler pipe too, I thought about a cork from a home-brew place or a rubber one but couldn't find one nearby. Then I realised I had a spare filler neck with the rubber connector pipe still attached. And a top from an old caustic soda bottle was a great fit, especially when clamped on. I just need one short length of rubber pipe to seal a pipe and the work can start!

Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: