Lancia Beta Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:12:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VX Ignition timing: sorting out possible thirsty running on "Lulu"  (Read 3004 times)
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:23 AM »

Dear all,
I know this is kind of an obvious question but what are the timing advances for both static and running VX engines? Also can you time them through the bell housing viewing hole as I suspect?
I only ask as when I was checking the ignition and carb sett-up several anomalies came to light like the vacumn tube being disconnected off the carb and the distributor being way out! I have checked all the systems  and have taken off the offside wheel and splashguard to view the timing marks that I thought would be moulded on the yellow plastic belt cover, only to find that they are not there! In place of those "factory" marks I have found the typical blob of white paint on the crankshaft pulley that seems to correlate to 10 degrees advance, BUT I do not know if the mark is correct or accurate.
Any advice on achieving good consistent idling speed both when cold and warm would be great.
Thanks all.
Best Chas,
(VXdeMAYO). Smiley

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »

With electronic ignition you don't use the marks on the cover and you can't time static will look when I am back home
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:19:06 AM »

With regard to thirsty running it'll never do better than 30 even on a long steady cruise if you boot it a lot expect low 20s
mtulloch

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:00:09 AM »

I get around 33 on a run, not too bad for an old car.
rossocorsa
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:57:12 AM »

Chas apolgies for delay just haven't had time to look properly at a quick glance I can't find the detailed info on the Volumex although i do have the timing spec. I will try to make time at the weekend to research it properly
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:05:39 AM »

Thanks for that, we are have fun and games trying to get the timing correct at present due in no small measure to the timing pointer appearing to be slightly bent! My mechanic is scratching his head trying to get this sorted in time for Bristol on saturday! Once the timing is correct we can adjust the mixture screws etc, as she was not a happy idler before, especially when fully warmed up. Anyway hope to see some of you guys at BIAMF Bristol soon.
Best,
Chas and Anne,
(VxdeMAYO) Huh?

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: