Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:19:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake fluid  (Read 1869 times)
tonylanciabeta
« on: December 07, 2008, 09:07:11 PM »

I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my Coupe at the moment.  I've got a set of crossdrilled disks, good pads and braided Goodridge hoses but I'm wondering about brake fluid now.  Any recommendations?

Cheers
Iain

You may as well use silicone brakefluid.
Does not FADE like ordinary DOT 3 or DOT 4.
Bit dearer than the normal stuff available at motor factors but it's not hygroscopic and wont require changing every two years.
This does not mean that you will NEVER have to bleed your brakes again - always a good idea to bleed brakes after a pad change because you sometimes are unlucky enough to get a little air get past the seals when the pistons are disturbed.

can't agree on silicone fluid you can end up with a brake pedal that feels like pressing on a marshmallow!!! I know as previous owner of my VX used it terrible!!

We always find that silicone gives a spongey brake pedal.  Yes its not hydroscopic, but you can still get moisture in the system.   Water tends to coagulate into bubbles which can cause very localised corrossion.

We would suggest using DoT 5.1 or Castrol Super Response DoT 4 and change it every two years.

Obviously the people who have used silicone fluid have not CLEANED the system out properly!
So you will have lost the "benefits" of silicone fluid if its still contaminated with conventional brake fluid.
Why should the pedal feel spongy?
Dot 5 is not compressible - like any liquid for that matter - so why a spongy pedal.
Unless of course the system has not been purged of all air?

from experience no amount of bleeding helped and the car had braided hoses too the brakes just don't seem as sharp with silicon fluid  only speak as I find if silicon fluid is so good how come it has never been widely adopted in car manufacturing?

check out this link then -
http://www.v8register.net/subpages/V8NOTE228A.htm

Sound a bit like whats better "castor or synthetic two stroke oil"

Don't think car manufacturers want their products to last for ever - they don't! 8 to 10 years for a modern car.

Like everything there are pros and cons - full stop!
Some people like it, some don't, we are all different .
Think how much money car dealers would loose if they adopted this new stuff.
Dot 3 has been eclipsed by Dot 4 because of it's higher boiling point (New) and is slightly less hygroscopic.

Dot 3 boils at 205 degrees when new and when "old" 140 degrees.
Dot 4 boils at 230 degrees (25 degrees higher than Dot 3 when new) and 155 degrees when old - 15 degrees better.

This is why it should be changed regularly - YES Dot 5.1 is superior to this but still needs the same changing intervals and is less easy to find.

Because of the higher price of Dot 5 its tempting to buy only just enough and not bleed thoroughly and i think that's part of the problem.

Also if it were lethal to use it would not be sold and certainly would not have a Department Of Transport 5 standard.

If you use this stuff - bleed thoroughly to get rid of the old fluid.
It may also take more than one attempt to purge the system fully - but easier if the system is brand new.

Anyway that's all i am going to comment on the matter - "You Pay Your Money..blah blah blah"

Hi All!

Thought I'd chime in. I've been using ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid(Dot
5) in my 81 Beta with great results. Everything has failed on the
car, but the brake system! I highly recommend it and it is easily
found on line. Also, it is blue in color which makes bleeding the
system easy.

Thanks,

Todd
Annapolis, MD

Cheers Todd - good to have somebody back me up!
Has a 1981 Beta Coupe using DOT 5!!!!!!!
It's the fluid of the future, Vincenzo would be proud of you.

The DOT numbering seems odd.  DOT 5.1 is Non-silicone right.?

Yes Gee, you are correct.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: