Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:55:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no fuel at carb  (Read 4374 times)
markgoldsmith

« on: December 26, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »

Hi all merry christmas . Have a79 coupe with webber carb havnt started her up for around four weeks ie prior to cold spell. went to take out yesterday for christmas day spin. was running fine before cold weather .on checking carb doesnt seem to be getting any fuel. wondered if after last run out which was on a cold day if on cooling a small ammount of condensation frozen somewhere could be the problem as temperatures dropped drasticly. Could just be coincidence but any thoughts on where to start or what to try first would be appreciated 
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:23:34 AM »

Hi Mark,

Is the car kept in a garage or outside when not in use?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 01:06:55 PM »

If your car is indoors I'd try to warm it up if you can. Otherwise if like us you had that snap freeze the other week it could well be some condensation frozen in the carb. First check should be to see if fuel is entering the inline filter. If you don't have one take off the fuel pipe into the carb. If fuel is flowing then the carb could well be frozen up. To be honest if the car is outdoors I'd be tempted to leave it until things warm up - though by the look of things this won't be until next week at the earliest.
I don't have this luxury as my 10 plate VW Polo conked out yesterday and for the second Christmas in a row the Beta has been pressed into service! The next person that tells me that Lancias are useless old wrecks will get a piece of my mind.
markgoldsmith

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:21:20 AM »

Thanks lads.The car is garaged although it has probably still been very close to freezing in there .I left a couple of oil filled rads in there christmas night ,tried again yesterday but no joy. will put rads on for a couple days and see how that goes and in the mean time as you suggested neil will check inline filter and drop fuel line to carb off. Do you think it too high risk to gently warm carb gradually with a hot air gun .
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 01:22:01 PM »

If the fuel is being delivered to the carb I'd take off the air filter and give the carb a gentle blow with a hairdryer - not a hot air gun, there are plastic bits in the carb that a hot air gun could melt.
markgoldsmith

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

Thanks neil makes sense not as severe .
JoeBeta

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:38:27 PM »

Hi, had a similar non starting issue,  don't know if it helped.  I set a paint stripper hot air gun so that it was off to one side and just blowing across the top of the carb (with air filter removed)  this seemed to warm things up enough without any risk of damage?
markgoldsmith

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »

Thanks for ya post joe. Have had rad on in garage for last couple of days,still didnt start blew hair drier  over carb fuel lines fuel pump and inline filters carb and in boot  approx 10 mins . started 1st time . Thanks all happy new year.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »

Glad you sorted it. Just shows how cold it has been.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: