Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:55:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It's Very Cold  (Read 2709 times)
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:24 PM »

Not so much the snow but the extremely cold weather interfered mightily with my Lancia motoring this morning.
I went out at 0750 knowing that some warming up would be required, although the screen was clear. The door handle appeared to be frozen solid but a good pull got it open with a worrying sound something like breaking glass. Yes, the door was open but there was no way it was going to shut, not even on the latch. I then compounded matters by trying to open the passinger door from the inside. Luckily this stayed on the latch but wouldn't fully shut again!
The kids all piled in through the drivers door and I ended up driving into Shipley holding it shut with the handle (which like on many Betas is loose!). I was able to shut the door half way there when some heat must have blow into the door somehow and melted whatever was 'locking' it open. I was only able to fully shut the passinger door after it had stood in the sun for an hour.
Note to self - for God's sake clear out the garage!!!
JoeBeta

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »

I have the same problems here, bleedin cold in Scotland......
I removed door panel and dried out the inside mechanism with a heat gun and sprayed lots of grease (think it was silicon)?? all over the mechanism (everything that moves) inside and it has stopped this happening so far this year??
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »

Its not just Lancias that have this problem - My BMW E39 refused to open either of the rear doors, trapping my 3 year old and the shopping in the back!

Must coat those with duck oil or silicon grease sometime! 

I saw minus 11 degrees Grin

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: