Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:29:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guy from Canada- need info on Beta engine mods  (Read 2410 times)
Hugh Sutherland

« on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:36 PM »

I am a new guy from Orangeville Canada - I have a 79 Beta 2000 that had minor engine Fire and has been in storage now for 2 years- getting it out and plan to replace engine parts as follows
New head and cams from Fiat 1600 Spyder- dome top pistons, 2  Weber 340 Dc side draft carbs- get rid of any other clutter- my research tells me I can move it from 112 HP to about 230 with these mods- any comments- rest of car is in excellent shape
Cheers
Hugh
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:03 PM »

Hi Hugh - Welcome.

To be honest 230 bhp is in the very serious modification league without using forced induction. It is possible but it would be a lot of cash.

With cams, good head porting, tubular headers and webers you should be able to get 160bhp without too much trouble - more if you go for wilder cams.

Any pictures of the car ?

Stuart

75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:35:46 PM »

Hi Hugh,

I would be contacting the reputable engine tuner Guy Croft, or buy a copy of his book. The most powerful 2 litre he has built on carbs is about 200 BHP in 8 valve configuration, this was with big valve head, ported, race cams etc, and is an engine not really suited to street driving.

I would be careful about fitting a 1600 spider head and cams, you would at least have to change the cam boxes as the spider is a vertical engine, the beta is inclined 20 degrees and the oil drain holes in the cam boxes are different. The 1600 may not offer any more flow than the Beta head as the valve sizes are the same and probably port size too, and if a 1608 head may have a smaller combustion chamber.

A good fast road spec as Stuart says will give around 155BHP and be very torquey.

I am unsure of the Weber carbs you refer to, do you mean 40DCOE or 45DCOE? The domed top pistons are a good idea but be careful which ones you fit unless high octane fuel is avaiable. I have an 11:1 ratio on my engine which only runs on 98+octane fuel.

Is your engine same as US spec, as in low compression, air pump, smog gear etc? Is it carb or injection? Carb engine US spec puts out less than 90BHP, Injection puts out about 106 BHP, both less than Euro equivalents.

Cheers Ian
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: