Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:18:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello All  (Read 3008 times)
Gerhard

« on: September 25, 2010, 09:16:52 AM »

Hi All

Just to introduce myself.

I am in the process of buying a 1986 Beta 2l automatic for my son. As can be expected, it has a fair amount of rust at all the normal places, etc.

As I have never own a automatic car before, how is this gearbox regarding reliability, services, etc.

The car comes with a spare manual gearbox, will it be worth converting it from auto to manual?

Your speedy response will be highly appreciated.

Gerhard
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »

Hi and welcome.

The auto box is rare but not fantastic so it doesn't really add any value.

If you want originality then keep it but I'd probably convert it to manual.

If it's an 86 then it's a very late model, the good news is that interiors for these are a bit easier to come by than for the early cars.

Whereabouts are you based ?

Stuart
Gerhard

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 07:28:34 AM »

Hi Stuart,

I am in Durban South Africa. Thanks for the input. Will be seeing the car again today in the daylight. Will make a call then.

G
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »

Welcome Gerhard, 

You've come to the right place and it's great to see people from more locations joining us.

Was your car one of the CKD cars - (Completely Knocked Down) that were re-assembled in S.A.?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Gerhard

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:12:58 AM »

Welcome Gerhard, 

You've come to the right place and it's great to see people from more locations joining us.

Was your car one of the CKD cars - (Completely Knocked Down) that were re-assembled in S.A.?

Thanks for the welcome.

Had some good inputs from the other members all ready. I am not sure what the history is behind the car, but while cleaning it last week I discovered the contact detail of, what must be, the first owner. Unfortunately I had no response from him up to now. (I presume that they have moved on since 1984)

I have not seen any other Beta's here in Westville, and has been stopped a couple of times by other drivers to ask about the make and model of the car. (Makes you feel kind of special) One idiot even compliment me on the good condition of my BMW!!!! I nearly ran over him, twice!!! Once told that it is a Beta and specifically a LANCIA BETA, most of them then start talking about the rust and the Top Gear program about the rust. (We get to see the Top Gear shows about a year after)

Regards,

Gerhard.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: