Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel smell on acceleration  (Read 4243 times)
colinB

« on: September 12, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »

Hpe VX back on road from yesterday-thanks to felix in South Africa who came up with new ignition switch.  Whilst reminding me of its performance/overtaking ability yesterday was also reminded that every time put foot down get a waft of petrol inside car. from memory replace flexi hose between tank and filler and think much else has been replaced or not but does anyone have any tips as to likely culprits?  I know I'm a petrolhead but this car is really discouraging spirited driving!

Thanks. Colin.
Betanut

Scotland Scotland

Lancialess

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 10:17:13 AM »

I know it's a pain but my first step would be to double check/replace all the rubber fuel hoses under the bonnet.
The metal pipe that brings fuel to the engine bay is usually OK but worth checking the connections - I'm sure you have, but worth looking.
If we assume that the carb isn't doing anything funny and that all under the bonnet is fine then I'd double check the condition of the pipework at the lift pumps at the fuel tank.
I had no end of issues with that (to begin with) on my old HPE VX then again with my coupe VX but to be fair it was rare for the fumes to make it into the cabin.
The final possibility that springs to my mind at the moment (and it's been a few years since I did anything Lancia so bear with me) is an inline fuel filter - if you've had one fitted?
If you have, worth checking it over carefully. I replaced the plastic one orginally fitted to my VX coupe with a generic metal filter as the plastic ones seemed to basically come apart under a VX bonnet. They shouldn't, but did.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:49:00 AM »

I recently replaced a plastic in-line filter that had cracked on the inlet tube, the crack being hidden by the clip. The car was taking ages to start as the filter was draining out overnight, but never losing enough fuel to drop onto the drive.
colinB

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »

Thanks Gents-will let you know how I get on-in the meantime puttig up with petorl smell since enjoying driving a car that really is rewarding to drive!

colin.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: