Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:04:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Coupe Lights - Difference between Altissimo/SIEM  (Read 5175 times)
RickyJ

« on: August 24, 2010, 09:54:26 AM »

Can anyone tell me if the Altissimo and SIEM light clusters from a Coupe are the same, is it just the lens markings that are different?

The mounting lugs and rubber gaskets on my VX Coupe lights are shot and I've been in contact with another forum member about some Altissimo units. I'm pretty sure the VX lights I have are SIEM, the question is, are all the parts interchangeable (Frame/Lenses/Circuit Board/Gaskets) - I'd like to keep the SIEM Lenses for originality.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:52:54 PM »

I dont think you'll have an issue Ricky, if the mounting points change that means that the chassis had to have changed (relocated mounting points for rear clusters) I cant see Lancia doing that just for a change in manufacturer of rear lights/lenses.  Lancia were a bit bonkers at times but not that crazy.  Its probably just the lenses themselves that are made by two different companies depending on early/late production.

I know that Siem is part of Magneti Marelli, who also own Weber, A-L, Carello, Solex, Veglia Borletti and others (all names that are synonymous with italian motors) - my guess is that Altissimo either got bought up (by MM?) or simply went to the wall because MM was so big and so "in bed" with Fiat, Alfa and Ferarri.
Anyone know the Altissimo history?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »

in general individual parts are not exchangeable between manufacturers but whole units will fit regardless of what was there before, so for instance you can't fit Carello headlights to a car with Siems without changing the whole backing plate but if you have a whole unit it will fit fine. Throughout the life of the Beta range it seems that Lancia hedged their bets by using two suppliers (maybe due to frequent strikes in the 70s???) the only thing that seems certain is if you have Carrello on the offside it'll be Carello on the nearside but it could just as soon have Siem at the other end of the car or maybe Altissimo   
RickyJ

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:56:10 PM »

Thanks chaps.

I'm going to give the Altissimo ones a go - I'd like to keep as much of the SIEM units as possible for the sake of originality but failing that I'll paint the chrome surrounds on them black and stick the complete units in. I'll have a play around with swapping bits over and report back if any bits are directly interchangeable, once I get them - You never know when somebody else may need to know the same thing..
Lancia Beta 2000

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »

Altissimo and Siem rear lights of beta are differents; the "notches" of plastics are different;
if you wnt to use siem lens with altissimo light body, you have to do some little notches in the plastic, ie with a dremel
chrisc

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 10:00:46 PM »

For the benefit of the next poor soul to discover this, here's what happens when you try to mix components! Altissimo frame, siem brake light lens.

As you can see, not a show stopper but the fixings on the top and bottom rails of the frame are in different locations, and the cut out on the lens for the mounting bolt is different.

Why would you do this? My inescapable conclusion is they were just being bloody difficult for no reason!

Current:
S2FL Coupe 1600 (restoration project)

Former Lancias
HPE VX A52 VGK (parts donor)
C363 RPC (probably still sorned in cumbria with it's new owner)
SanRemo78

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 10:28:08 PM »

I am going to be the next poor sod to discover this? I have multiple frames in varying condition and Altissimo/Siem lenses I think. I would have expected frame differences to accommodate the lamps being handed so you can't assemble them with the indicator lensed on the bottom? Hope I've got enough good components to make a matched pair!

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
chrisc

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 10:26:31 AM »

Some cackhanded careful dremeling later, lens fits.

I then turned my attention to the mounting holes in the different place to mount the altissimo frame to the siem light unit. Yeah, every hole is in a slightly different place.

Going to see if I can find an altissimo light unit to mount it to, getting the holes in the right place to use the siem one is.. well, it should be doable, but without a pillar drill to help accuracy I'm never getting it right

Current:

Former Lancias
chrisc

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2023, 01:37:45 PM »

And as a finale.. I had a word with myself, it's not that difficult to make it fit with redrilling some holes, strip the seal off , then its the one just left of centre and in the vertical below the original fixing.

With that done, nice new galvanised fixings, new bulbs, put them on the car and one more small step is made!

Current:

Former Lancias
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 04:04:17 PM »

Hi Chris

Nice one to post, always good to see a workaround.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 08:03:30 AM »

Great work
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: