Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:49:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inlet & Outlet pipes  (Read 3535 times)
cheeky monkey

« on: June 19, 2010, 05:09:50 PM »

I thought id replace the fuel hoses for the inlet and outlet to to the carb (weber 32 DAT) as they were looking poor and evidence of a little fuel at the top where it joins the carb. Having put new hoses in its got worse, so i tried a lower bore size & different type of clips i still get petrol coming from at least the inlet but its hard to tell. putting the original pipes back on the prob is worse than it was originally. There doesnt seem to be any damage to the pipes coming out the carb themselves - or is it possible to get a hairline crack in these do you know.? 
Ive used a mirror to check around the area and its not coming from any gasket - they were changed recently and look fine.
any ideas appreciated

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »

I test pipes by removing them and then blanking off one end and connect the other end to my compressor, then drop the pipe into a bucket of water and fire air through the pipe - leaks should be obvious.

Always use the same bore puipes if you can when replacing.

If the pipes are OK and I suspect the new ones are then I'd be looking at maybe checking/replacing the mechanical fuel pump or check the fuel tank to ensure that its not blocked the main fuel feed.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
cheeky monkey

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 08:08:35 PM »

thanks Matt

the pipes seem fine and the fuel pumps been changed.. Its almost as if there is too much fuel being pumped through rather than anything being blocked.

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »

Cheeky

Any chance the float level has been disturbed in the changes? Also the brass pipes press into the carb body I have seen them loose in the past. If this is the case remove it clean it and refit with permanent stud lock.

Eric
cheeky monkey

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 10:09:52 AM »

Righto Eric.. will have a look at that too.
thanks

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
cheeky monkey

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 08:03:29 PM »

It was the inlet pipe causing the leak.  Once refitted, although the idle was ok I couldnt get the ignition timing right, so Southern Carburettors who are very close to where i live sorted that out.  They have a similar set up to Northampton Motorsports who i think some of you know, with a rolling road etc.  http://www.southerncarbs.co.uk/  I would recommend them.

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: