Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:55:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel tank  (Read 3951 times)
Iain
Alfalancia

« on: May 25, 2009, 02:30:19 PM »

Hi,

Rather embarrasing no-show at yesterday's Scottish Italian Car Day after the car cut out on the M8, rust particles clogging the carb were diagnosed (fuel filter was chock full).

So, looks as if I need to clean the tank out, what I wanted to ask was, has anyone tried using one of the home sealing kits? I had a look online and found this stuff http://www.therustshop.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=97

Any views?

Thanks

1981 Coupe 2000 S2 FL
2008 Alfa Brera
hutch6610

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »

You should be ok with these polyurethane sealing kits - follow the instructions to the letter!
You have a carb model so its easy to remove the sender unit and pick up,  the lobster pot filter comes off with the pick up.

Anybody with a VX or IE will end up with the filter (if not gummed up already) blocked completely.

Good luck.
RickyJ

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:13:52 PM »

I took the easy way out (from a time point of view) when I had mine done and sent it off to get it done - It wasn't cheap, from memory about £180 seems to ring a bell. Unfortunately, as Hutch has made reference to, the "experts" who did it completely coated the filter inside the VX tank - It took 2 weeks of fault finding to work out what had happened - If I had to do it again I'd look at the D.I.Y. route.
glovebeast

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »

What is the issue with the filter in a VX tank? Can it not be removed before the coating process?

I have a VX with a leaking tank; I was considering the DIY approach, but have found a firm - Hartlepool Radiator Company - who clean and coat both inside and outside of the tank. Not cheap, I think it was over £200 when I inquired.

If it is something you need to be aware of before a DIY job, then  surely the pro's can do the same, if they are aware of the problem?

I've not done it yet, but hope to be in a position to get it sorted soon.
RickyJ

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 09:03:07 PM »

I think it was that company that did my tank - The price and the name do ring a bell.

You can't remove the filter and from memory it's quite hard to see from the top of the tank. What I ended up doing after it had been coated was to use a screwdriver to rip the mesh part of the filter off - I know it sounds a bit severe but it did the job. I put a filter inline just before the fuel pump on the rear crossmember.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: