Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:37:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Speedo Drive  (Read 3512 times)
JoeBeta

« on: June 15, 2010, 01:56:56 PM »

Had the speedo pack up on my 1600 Beta Coupe,  traced it back to the drive in the gearbox ?? (I think), 
Does anybody know of a fix or is it time to source another box (and all the hassle of fitting it)
cheers
Joe
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »

The most likely culprit is the driven gear in the diff housing - I don't know if it's metal or nylon on the Beta but it's not unusual for them to get chewed up especially if the speedo cable has been getting stiff.

If the bit the speedo cable screws on to can be persuaded out then you may be able to replace the gear in situ. Failing that it's a gearbox out job.

Stuart
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 02:34:05 AM »

This happened on my car due to stiff cable - the heat from the exhaust can actually melt the outer! As Stuart says it is probably the driven gear which is plastic, it comes out easily once you undo the small capscrew bolt that locates it just under where the cable screws onto the diff housing. Undo the bolt and pull it out - you can leave the cable attached if required for something to grab to pull it, the threaded part comes out with the gear underneath. It is unlikely that the gear on the diff is at fault.
JoeBeta

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:08:23 AM »

I have not had time to revisit this yet, as the dreaded MOT time has come...  and needed some essentials done.
Are the plastic drives available form anywhere???  Long shot I know,  or is there another which can be made to fit??
cheers Joe
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:16:54 PM »

I would put a request in "parts wanted", someone may have a 1600 box lying about with a good drive in it. I have a spare 2 litre one, but suspect it will be a different ratio to the 1600 one, as the diff ratios are different.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: