Lancia Beta Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:27:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Availability of Beta saloons  (Read 2039 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: June 04, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »

Huh? I am considering buying a pre 1980 Beta saloon but haven't seen any for sale. It will be next spring before I am ready for another car, but I wonder how hard is it to find a good one? Any engine option will do provided it's a 1600 or bigger. Where should I look and what should I expect to pay for a good one? Any advice will be welcome. Thanks folks. Oh yeah, right hand drive is almost obligatory.

Rust never sleeps
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:19:37 PM »

you need to look everywhere they are thin on the ground go for a 2 litre, I had a 1600 years ago a really nice one and whilst the engine is really sweet it is hard work in modern traffic due to the lack of low end torque
TreviDash

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:24:27 PM »

Why pre-80?

Third series dates from 1979, although plated late, through to A reg.

Are you interested in buying a Saloon Third Series?

'84 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf
'92 Daimler Six
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »

In Ireland where I live, cars manufactured before 1980 qualify for an exemption from the NCT (A ridiculously stringent version of your MOT) and also a special rate of road tax of €48 per year as opposed to €614 for a 2 liter engine (pre 2008 manufacture) or up to €2000 from 2008 on as it is now based on the cars' CO2 emissions, so as the law states cars must be pre 1980, as opposed to 30 years or older as was the case until this year, it makes much more financial sense to buy the older models. Also, I am only feeling the lie of the land as regards this purchase as I haven't seen any for sale and am toying with the idea but not until I have built more storage as there is no point in buying one and leaving it outside. I currently have four other classics and no more room. That is why I am thinking next year, all going to plan.

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: