Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:47:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi from yet another newbie  (Read 2682 times)
jabez200

« on: May 20, 2010, 01:06:33 AM »

Hi
Im Iain from Shrewsbury. Love Lancia Spiders..have been driving them for 25 odd years. Am an enthusiast rather than a mechanic!

Have a 2000 1980 spider with a genuine 17000 on the clock. Just purchased a s\h Lancia twin inlet manifold and could do with some advice on where when what and how ( just a little advice!!) I can get some carbs to fit. I beleive twin Su40`s down draft, but what else is needed and where can I get some new or S\H? Also any advice about the air filters to match etc

Have many spares (inc Trim doors engines alloys, boots etc) from older spiders which I bought for parts..if I can help anyone just mail me.. jabez200@hotmail.com

(Need to keep some as am also restoring my first spider which Ive refused to let go for the 20 years its been off the road)

* DSC02252sm.jpg (218.07 KB, 696x522 - viewed 418 times.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:17:19 AM by jabez200 » Logged
LanciaNut69

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 08:00:35 AM »

Hi Iain,

That's a lovely looking spyder you got there.  What type of manifold have you bought - is it for downdraft or sidedraft carbs?  That will dictate what carbs you'll need, but I don't think you'll be putting SU's in there, rather DCOE (sidedraft) or DCNF (downdraft).  You can still buy both brand new, but they're not cheap.  Alternatively, check out eBay but figure you're going to need rejetting at the very least. Look for carbs from a similar installation, ie 2 litre car.  If you have no other mods then you can 'probably' get away with 40's, but if you go for 45's then you won't need to upgrade at a later date.  You'll also need to factor in filter/airbox mods, but I'm sure there are other chaps out there with more experience in this.  The other bits you're going to need are linkage, electric fuel pump, and a regulator - I recommend the filter king, which provides a filter as well as a regulator.  Finally, you're going to need to get the car to a rolling road ideally to have the carbs set up properly.  It's not a difficult upgrade to do, although you're going to need to plan it properly if you're not going to end up with your p&j off the road for a while! ;o)

If you're changing the carbs, you may want to consider upgrading the exhaust at the same time. 

Hope this helps,

Darren

www.monteservicingandrepair.com
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »

Welcome to the forum Iain

Damn that is a good looking car!  Especially in red  Grin

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
jabez200

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:28:05 PM »

Darren.  ..Thanks for the advice on the carbs. The manifold was bought off ebay a few days ago and is for down draft. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130389583280&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Its needs a good clean but is in better condition than the pic shows.

Only carbs I can see on ebay at the moment are for an MG 1600. Would they do? they are only 40`s http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MG-1600-MAESTRO-TWIN-WEBER-CARBS-DCNF-40-/170484817057?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b1afdca1
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:32:10 PM by jabez200 » Logged
LanciaNut69

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »

Hi again,

Good find on the inlet manifold and yes, those 40's will do you.  42's would probably be better, but they are rarer.  May be worth shooting a question over to make sure the baseplate dimensions are the same.  You are going to be in for overhaul kits at the least - again ebay is your friend - or TMH - http://montehospital.net/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=27_22

get your toothbrush ready for some serious cleaning there - especially if they're going to live up to the quality of the rest of your car!! ;o)

Look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Cheers

Darren

www.monteservicingandrepair.com
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: