Lancia Beta Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:50:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-face lift/post face lift etc  (Read 1818 times)
rodney3010

« on: May 12, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »

Admission - I don't know an awful lot about the history of the beta spider and read a lot of posts wich speak about the differences pre and post face lift etc. Can anybody either enlighten me to the differences or point me in the direction of an article that can?
betabuoy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 05:03:07 PM »

Rodney.  If you look in the section on this site marked Beta Guides (it's just above the General Discussion tab) you'll get to a downloadable doc produced by John Bower that should fill the missing gaps.  Chris

1979 Beta Coupe S2FL (1st registered May 1983!)
1967 Morris Minor Traveller
1925 Austin 7 Chummy
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:23:28 PM »

from a very old post I did on lancisti.net this only applies to coupés and may not be fully accurate to say it's confusing is a big understatement!! Spiders seemed to follow an even more confusing but similar route first series had no bar across the door aperture both first and second series had the unique spider seats there was a second series FL but no FL2 in europe although an FL2 variation was sold in North America

first series

rounded roof edges- slim bumpers- low bonnet- 4xround headlamps- chrome rear vents- early dashboard- honeycomb chrome grille- single piece rear valance/panel

second series

rounded roof edges- slim bumpers- raised bonnet on 2 litre cars (others retain low bonnet) -rectangular headlamps on 2 litre cars (others still 4x round)- grille in black with horizontal chrome bars 2 litre cars only-1600 retains honeycomb grille- single piece rear valance/panel- early dash

second series FL

all with raised bonnet- slim bumpers- grille in black with horizontal chrome bars- squared off roof edges- 4x round headlamps -second style dash- rear panel and valance two separate parts(seam behind bumper)

second series FL2

thicker heavier looking bumpers (possibly excepting 1300 can anyone from mainland europe confirm??)  - 'modern' style grille with shield motif- black window trim- squared off roof edges- two piece rear valance/panel (seam behind bumper)-4xround headlamps -all with raised bonnet- second style dash- front and rear spoiler on volumex- rear spoiler also fitted to some other versions (not same as vx item)-bulge in bonnet on vx-fuel filler set higher on wing and there is no flap-rubbing strips to sides

early 1300 coupés (series two) are different again using a bench rear seat and a completely different all black grille, they were also badged as 'Lancia 1300 Coupé' no mention of BETA this was intended to allow them to replace the fulvia (I think). series 2 FL 1300's are largely the same as the bigger engined models

THIS IS ONLY WHAT I KNOW ABOUT EUROPEAN SPEC CARS! cars for the USA,South Africa (and other CKD) and Australia may well differ

I THINK this is right (it is a bit confusing!)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:18:52 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »

I would like to add a little about what I have found about Australia spec cars:

1. There were no spyders imported
2. Series 1 early coupes had 1800cc HC engines (120BHP), then late 1975 1800 LC engines (110BHP)
3. From 1976 on only 2 litre Sedan/coupe/HPE available.
4. From 1976 on all had extra emmision controls, different carbs to Uk spec with fast idle valve, complicated evaporitive loss systems with charcoal cannister etc similar to US spec, but no air pump and still 8.9:1 CR. Power of 2 liter 110BHP, so slightly down on euro spec.
5. Later cars 78/79 on had door side impact bars fitted.
6. All had rear seat belts as standard.
7. Trim and other specs similar to UK
8. Many had A/C fitted - some OE, many aftermarket - although most I have seen have been disconnected
9. Series 3 cars 1982 on still had carb engine, but with PAS and IE style radiator as per UK cars, Big bumpers, modern grille, black door handles/windscreen surround
10. NO Spyder, VX or IE cars officially imported into Australia.
11. They do not rust as bad here! My 1975 coupe still has very little rust, but has spent all its time in sunny Queensland!

If anyone else can add their findings it would be good.
rodney3010

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:35:29 PM »

Thanks to all for replies!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: