Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:29:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY Spraying  (Read 6919 times)
RickyJ

« on: April 14, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »

Looking for some advice on home/diy/aerosol spraying (can't afford to take it to a professional to get it done)

I've primered my sunroof and am on to the final, colour layer(s). Not sure about the final processes with Metallic paint. Should I use wet and dry to flatten before spraying a laquer coat or do I just spray the colour coat, leave it alone and then add laquer on top?? I have a machine polisher which I can use but just want to get the best finish I can - Any suggestions for a novice painter welcome!
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:47:55 PM »

Will be doing alot of this very soon on my turbo, and am also very much a novice, so any advice guys?

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 08:55:32 AM »

my first advice when painting is, preperation is key
if you have a few scratch marks or dimples, these will only be magnified  when you put on your finished coat.

prepare your area, primer and using 600 or 800 grit wet/dry paper with water, and using a rubber sanding block sand till flat.

apply a couple of coats of base coat, dont worry about getting a gloss finish and this will dry matt
(do not rub down)

apply 4 or 5 coats of lacquer, leave for 2 or 3 days (as aerosol lacquer take ages to go hard)

lightly wet/dry 1600 grit (with water) to get the paint nice and flat (agian using a rubber block to avoid finger rub marks)

gently compound or t-cut till to get a gloss finish, wax

Job done Cheesy

Tony Harrison - Farnborough, Hants
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L(being restored slowly)
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
thecolonel
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »

little note:

after applying the primer spray a light dust coat of matt black, then flat through the black
back to the primer. Any imperfections will show up.

RickyJ

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »

Well, I'd agree (in hindsight!) with both Tony and the Colonel that:

preperation is key if you have a few scratch marks or dimples, these will only be magnified  when you put on your finished coat.
and
after applying the primer spray a light dust coat of matt black, then flat through the black
back to the primer. Any imperfections will show up.

I thought I'd got the surface fairly smooth but probably rushed things as I really needed to get the sunroof back in before we get some more rain. Generally quite please with the result, especially as it was my first attempt at spraying an entire panel and it was using aerosols. Far from perfect by anymeans but here are a few pictures:

Not sure the paint is a 100% match for the rest of the car as the paint place had 3 options for the metallic grey paint code I had, but she'll never be a show winner anyway! If/When I have to do it again, I'll spend much more time on the initial surface prep and getting the colour coat even - The problem with using spray cans is that they seem to loose pressure at the end of the tin and you can get (as I have) big drops of paint coming out. The laquer process and getting a decent shine was actually fairly easy - Especially using one of these with some rubbing compound and the red sponge:

MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »

Another little tip is "avoid spraying outside" (unless of course you have to).

There are flies, midges, dust and pollen particles that can land on your newly painted surface - and if you try to pick them of........ well I'm sure you get the idea!

Good Job there though Ricky, I'd be proud of that as a first go at it.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
RickyJ

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »

Thanks Matt - I think I've opened the floodgates now though, been looking round the car and can see a few things for me to experiment on!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 07:53:59 PM by RickyJ » Logged
Altijdgriep

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 09:34:22 PM »

Grr! Nice license plate hehe
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 02:54:31 PM »

I've sprayed three full cars plus many touch up jobs (have several pending). I can't believe how well your panel has come out using aerosols, especially with a metalic base. Well done!

Outdoor spraying can work ok for smaller sections (definately not for a full car though) but you're very reliant on the atmosphere at the time. Really has to be clear and dry.
Spyder79

England England

Lancia Beta Spyder 1979

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:48:07 PM »

As I have a resprayed Spyder but did not own the car when it was resprayed , does anyone know how i would find out the actual name of the colour that was used as I need to do a few cosmetics?

Is there an easy way?Not even sure it is a Lancia colour.

any help appreciated.
insayner

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 06:39:58 PM »

hi it is steve. i think you have my old car i have found a tin off paint which the car was sprayed in i will dig it out of the garage and bring it down to brooklands for you.
cheers steve.
Spyder79

England England

Lancia Beta Spyder 1979

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »

Brilliant!...didnt know you were coming down.
Its a long way you know.
What will you be driving?

Thanks very much for doing that....and the car is brilliant.
insayner

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »

hi steve again yes i no it is a long way down south i have booked a hotel in weybridge friday & saturday night. i am coming down in a red hf turbo  Grin i will be taking it easy when driving down Roll Eyes i do not want to break her Angry Embarrassed
cheer steve.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: