Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:03:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power steering to manual steering for my 1983 2L Lancia Beta Coupe  (Read 4602 times)
swilkes

« on: April 04, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »

I have a 2L Lancia Beta Coupe (1983) with ZF Power Steering.  To be honest, it's great.  I have made many upgrades and modifications based on the Guy Croft bible but feel it is time to get rid of the PAS to get the full potential from the work that has been done on the engine (and any future improvements).  My original plan was to source an older beta manual steering system but then someone asked me whether others fit and whether this may open the door for further improvements for competition (different competition racks).  I know very little about all this so I thought I would drop a line on this forum to see if someone might have any suggestions or experience regarding this change.  I hope I have posted this is a sensible section of the forum.  Thanks in advance for any advice or assistance.  Regards Shane
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »

quite frankly you'd be mad to do it!! unless you have arms like popeye you will end up with too may turns lock to lock with a standard manual rack or mega heavy low speed steering with a fast rack (there did used to be one available for manual steer betas) better to try to adjust the assistance level if you can (?) not sure if you can fit manual to a PS bulkhead in any case they are not the same. maybe it would be possible to cut off assistance above a certain speed?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:27:42 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
swilkes

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:01:08 AM »

I had an earlier Beta Saloon with manual steering and I don’t recall it being that bad, but hen I was just driving around (no track days, etc).  I have had another suggestion which was to fit a Mercedes A- class power steering pump which is electric (so I have been told).  Anyone heard of that??  Not sure of the cost, etc.  Is the manual steering rack that bad?  Any views on that.
rossocorsa
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:44:01 AM »

my experience is that the standard rack has too many turns lock to lock for fast driving ,arms end up flailing all over in an attempt to turn fast enough, it is also a bit heavy at parking speeds. To fit a faster than standard rack without power assist will lead to heavier steering at parking speeds to the point of being a chore (just try your power steering with the ignition off). I agree though that the standard power steering is too light and lacks feel I have often pondered if it could be adjusted to give less assistance
markwast
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:18:02 PM »

If you can find a later Beta , a 1600 saloon S3 if my memory is correct, but this came with manual steering and used the PAS bulkhead, not sure if all later models used the same rack ....... Just a thought.

Mark
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »

If you can find a later Beta , a 1600 saloon S3 if my memory is correct, but this came with manual steering and used the PAS bulkhead, not sure if all later models used the same rack ....... Just a thought.

Mark

if that is the case a 1600 trevi would also fit the bill but you'd probably end up with the same arm twirling as in an earlier car applying opposite lock is especially taxing
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: