Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:00:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: twin 40 webers  (Read 10489 times)
mark

« on: March 19, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »

Hi everyone, Ive just got hold of a pair of Twin 40 DCOE Webers and wondered if it is worthwhile fitting them to my 2.0 coupe. Is it possible to get an inlet manifold ? Is it more trouble than its worth because I will just list them on Ebay if thats the case. I dont want to set myself up for a load of work and the grief that may be involved in getting them set up properly. All info and advise would be very helpful.          Cheers Mark. Smiley
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:56:21 PM »

If you can get hold of the right manifold (offset to clear the distributor) and you can jet them up correctly then it's most definitely worth it.

mark

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 08:31:10 PM »

Thanks Stuart, do you or any other members know where I could get an offset manifold and more importantly what kind of money would one be ? Do you know who sells the correct jet kits ?  Many Thanks Mark. Wink
thecolonel
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:12:32 PM »

Eurocarb sell jets etc. also a lot on ebay, best to check with Guy Croft for the correct jets and chokes etc.
You'll probably also need a Malpassa/Filterking fuel filter/pressure regulator to set the fuel pressure.

Geoff
mark

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:23:21 AM »

Thanks Geoff,  I will take a look at that hopefully over weekend. Cheers Mark.  Wink
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »

Mark,

Guy Croft used to do the manifold but I believe he's deleted them now - might be worth asking whether he has any left or how many orders he'd want to get a new batch cast.

They come up every so often on E-Bay for the Fiat Twin Cams - I suspect one of these could probably be used and or adapted for the Beta.

If you're feeling flush you could even buy a new one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FIAT-124ST-125-132-131-TWINCAM-INLET-MANIFOLD-45-DCOEx2_W0QQitemZ200452207298QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2eabe1f2c2
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:20:11 AM »

Hi Mark,

I agree with Stuart it is definately worth fitting the DCOE's. It will give you at least an extra 10BHP with no other mods, but more importantly easier starting, better driveability/throttle response and better part throttle economy if jetted correctly.

I fitted twin 45 DCOE's to fairly standard motor and was instantly converted. I purchased a manifold from a Guy in Greece, I think his ebay name was motorman253, I paid around 97 pounds for it, which is OK, but not as good as the Guy Croft one, it's flow path is not quite as direct. I am also looking for a GC one....

The linkage can be made up adapting the standard linkage/cable fairly easily, I can send pics if you are interested.

The only downside is the induction noise, (but it is a nice sound....) but this can also be subdued with an air box. You may have to move the radiator forward too if you want to fit longer air horns, although with short horns it will just clear - I canted the original forward, but an IE or VX rad is a better option if you can find one.

Have attached pics of manifold - the second pic I took when I was swapping cams - you don't have to remove it to fit the manifold!

* Beta DCOE.JPG (14.98 KB, 448x336 - viewed 4052 times.)

* Inlet manifold fitted.JPG (39.31 KB, 448x336 - viewed 4702 times.)
mark

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 04:14:32 PM »

Thanks for the advise and cracking pictures, they look really good when fitted. I will have to see if one comes up for sale and at what price ( another mortgage default then ) and hope her indoors doesnt ask to many questions  Wink    Cheers Mark.
Pete

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:06:33 PM »

As if by magic this turned up on ebay today.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Offset-inlet-manifold-Fiat-lancia-twin-cam-131-sport_W0QQitemZ320505856514QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4a9fa34202
rachaeljf

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 09:43:40 PM »

Careful with those eBay manifolds - a 124/131 manifold is for an upright engine. You need the Beta manifold with the right flange angle to set your carbs horizontal.

Cheers R
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 07:51:10 AM »

Yes you are absolutely right. The Beta engine is canted backwards 20 degrees. The manifold I obtained had the correct angle. The 124/131 type can be used but an adapter plate must be made or the manifold machined to the correct angle. most DCOE manifolds have a slight upward tilt of about 5 degrees, you can go up to 7 degrees tilt, after that you can upset the float chamber level.

There is no easy way to tell if the manifold is for a beta, it is very similar to the 124/131 type, the tell tale is usually the the face that bolts to the head, on the Beta it is almost at 90 degrees to the manifold runners, on the 124 type it is at more of an angle - hard to explain but best judjed by looking side on.

happy hunting!
jean-paul

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 12:31:22 PM »

hi there this is first time i write but i am doing modifications on my beta also i purchased a guy croft manifold from omicron engineering uk and regards jetting of webers, eurocarb will help you lot also check out for trumpets if you keep everything standard make long trumpets
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »

Mark,

If you still need one, I have one listed on ebay.com.au at the moment, it is the right offset etc.

Thanks
daye

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »

hello

I'm make the same chnages in my beta

I have a intake manifold from 131 but's the angle isn't good

I search a adaptator plate or a GC intake

Any knows how throw a adaptator??

Thanks

daye

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »

any can help me?