Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering wheel removal ?  (Read 2337 times)
tonylanciabeta
« on: November 30, 2008, 05:57:19 PM »

Hi,

Any tips on how to get the steering wheel off (without the Lancia pulling tool referred to in Haynes)?

I've tried a liberal soaking with WD40 and pulling hard left and right but the thing just won't budge.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Iain

Its on a splined taper.   The crude way is to use brute force, taking care to protect the wheel by wrapping it in cloths etc.,     To protect your face when you pull it off leave the nut on the steering column by a couple of turns.   Sometimes holding it with two hands and gently tapping the steering column with a hammer with your third hand can help shock it loose.

Andrew

Sorry to say mate,   but it is persistence and strength !   I just took mine off for better access to the console and under the steering column.    I am assuming you have removed centre bolt of course,   and the wheel comes away with boss attached.      Mine took a lot of wiggling,  knocks pulling etc,  but it did eventually just come away.    Mine maybe an aftermarket boss as it is not the standard wheel.

Michael

get an assistant. have the assistant maintain constant "pull off" pressure
on the steering wheel while you hit the threaded end of the steering column
with a rubber mallet. use rubber mallet ONLY for obvious reasons!!!

Dont know what the problem is - I just went out and removed the one from my vx im breaking - was remarkably easy Smiley (sandbag central here!). I followed the remove hefty nut, put back on a few turns, brace legs against floor and pull. Came off in about 5 or 10 seconds.

It's funny you bring this up. I just attempted to remove mine today, but it wouldn't budge. I took my fiat one off the other day and the bloody thing pretty much fell off. I suppose it depends on how many times it has actually been off in the past and how tight the nut was. If it hasn't been broken in 25 years it has to be expected to be stubborn.
If the hammer treatment doesn't work and I don't grow a third hand overnight, I'm going to make  my own puller. It may be a little crude but I don't intend on keeping the wheel.
 Is anybody interested in a slightly buggered lancia wheel?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:59:26 PM by tonylanciabeta » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: