Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:59:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Momentary dashboard switches  (Read 481 times)
JohnFol

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 10, 2024, 11:39:41 AM »

Morning all, looking for a couple of dashboard switches that activate only when being pressed. Sometimes they are called latching switches.

These are an easy find for cars, but trying to keep buttons looking as close to original as possible.

Did the beta ever have an option or std fit item that used a momentary switch (apart from horn)?
SanRemo78

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 11:56:48 AM »

The only other non-latching switch I can think of on a Beta is the ignition switch in the AVV (avviam - starter) position.
Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
JohnFol

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 12:41:17 PM »

Thanks Guy.

I know the power window switch fits the bill in terms of latching, but I'm after a single on/off vs up/down (not explained very well)..

SanRemo78

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 02:15:22 PM »

Hadn't thought about that switch. It might be possible to tear one down and make one using a spare blank switch? There must be a way to stop the movement to the second position? or just wire it so that only one (up or down) works?
Guy

betaveloce

Belgium Belgium

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 02:16:27 PM »

Morning all, looking for a couple of dashboard switches that activate only when being pressed. Sometimes they are called latching switches.

These are an easy find for cars, but trying to keep buttons looking as close to original as possible.

Did the beta ever have an option or std fit item that used a momentary switch (apart from horn)?

The button for the HPE rear window wiper maybe?
The wiper only works as long as you press the button (the idea is that the wiper only needs to work to remove standing water when the car is stationnary).

Beta Coupé 1.8 '74
Beta Spider 1.6 '80
Beta HPE 2.0 i.e. '82
Delta Integrale 8V '88
Ypsilon 1.4 16V '09
JohnFol

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 04:17:20 PM »

That could work.

If anyone wants the bigger picture I have 2 window switches from MarkW, and will be re-purposing them for garage door up/down and the other for central lock/unlock. Frustration is they reverse polarity on common poles, whereas I'm after a simple make / break. I may end up removing the inners and fitting microswitches

My other project is radiator fan switch. I've already fitted remote on/off switch for the radiator fan but I think a better solution is a latch switch. To explain, if I get out the car and the fan is spinning, it could be because of the thermostat or the remote switch. The former will turn off automatically as the engine cools but if it's the remote switch, it runs the risk of being on until the battery goes dead.

So the idea of the latch/momentary switch is press / release and fan goes on for a timed period only. Press / release again and it goes on /off depending on the current state.

SanRemo78

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2024, 06:00:24 PM »

Radiator fan switch - run the earth lead through a relay and the control feed for the relay to earth from an ignition controlled live. That way you know if the fan is running with the ignition off it's the thermostatic switch controlling it and it'll shut off once the temps drop. No big loads going through switches that way.

Guy

JohnFol

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 11:01:22 AM »

Hi Guy, I need to do myself a drawing but I think I understand.

If you turn the remote switch on and then park up, the fan goes off when you turn ignition off. Doesn't than mean when you next use the car, the fan will come on as the switch is still in the on position?
SanRemo78

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2024, 12:44:12 PM »

I think I need to put my own thinking cap back on John, ignore what I said about the thermoswitch earth cable...

Run a positive cable from an ignition fused live to the switch to a new relay in the engine bay, through the relay to earthto operate the solenoid in the relay. Run another cable from the power side of the thermoswitch through the controlled circuit of the relay to earth.

This circuit will stop the fans running when the ignition is off unless the thermoswitch knows the water temp is above it's operating limit. Yes, when you come back to the car the fans will still run but you should hear them running and can switch off if you need to.

If the fans switching on on restart bothers you there is another solution.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/rear-fog-light-controller-for-new-iva-rules-for-momentary-switch

If you wire one of these rear foglight controllers into the circuit it will prevent the fans running on restart until you turn the switch off and on again. It's designed to stop you running with your foglight on if you forgot to switch it off when you last used/needed it.

Or you could wire in a warning light or an alarm buzzer?

Guy

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: