Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:27:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VX woes - supercharger removal.  (Read 774 times)
Harpo

« on: April 09, 2023, 06:51:24 PM »

Having a bad Easter here so some advice would cheer me up no end!
Google didn’t help, nor the search function on here. Mr Haynes drew a blank.
How the heck do you remove the supercharger on a VX? Undone the bolts but of course that’s never enough!
The inlet manifold has to come off as well from what I can see, but there appears to be a bolt behind the supercharger that I can’t get to. A real chicken and egg situation.
Any pointers appreciated. If you have no idea then please post your favourite chilli recipe. 😉
(Posted here hoping for a faster answer than the engine section. Shoot me!)
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 07:09:33 PM »

Hi
Been a long time since i've removed one, not sure if this helps.
Back in 2010 when I stripped a VX HPE I took photos along the way.
They can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tonysphotos/albums/72157625099802991

Cheers
Tony

Tony Harrison - Farnborough, Hants
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L(being restored slowly)
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
Harpo

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 09:24:10 PM »

Thanks Tony, that seems a bit extreme for my job though! Actually the picture of the block really helps me as it confirms the position of the one bolt I can’t get to. Cheers!
I can see it but not get to it with any tools yet. I’ve removed the tensioner which helps but still not enough space. I started to removed the big lump under the supercharger (power steering pump support?) amd will crack on with it in the morning. Otherwise, can I borrow your disc cutter? ;-}
squiglyzigly

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 09:40:10 PM »

That last bolt is do-able. You need a selection of slightly different spanner’s to get on it and then it’s a game of moving it 1/16th of a turn at a time. I’ve removed many a charger and it’s always ‘fun’ but don’t let it beat you now you know it’s possible.
Sometimes I use a short spanner (or a cut down spanner) and lever it. 

Why do you need to remove it?

Good luck
Ian

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
SanRemo78

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 08:49:00 AM »

If we're talking the three lower nuts on the cylinder head side of the Supercharger I have a recollection of using a 13mm crescent spanner. It wasn't an easy job to get at them but it the inlet on the carburettor side is off (and the supercharger inlet port is blanked to stop crap getting in) I think you can get fingers in underneath once the nuts are loosened.
Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
Harpo

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 11:16:04 AM »

Thanks for the help chaps, most appreciated.
I’m trying to take the inlet manifold off and it’s the last nut that’s driving me nuts!
Ian, how did you get to it please? From the side when the tensioner is or from underneath? I’m in the process of trying to remove the metal lump below the s/c to gain access.
The s/c I was selling has a defect to a rotor so I’m trying to take this one off to send instead.
Harpo

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 05:49:52 PM »

Panic over! Thank you chaps for your help. It was desperately needed.
Thank you Mods for allowing this to stay here in General to get max attention. Please delete or move to a more appropriate listing.
That last bolt on the inlet manifold was a pain. I cleared the way by removing the tensioner, I moved the power steering line, cut the timing belt, prayed for help from a Pagan god, but just not enough space. Removing a timing wheel might’ve done it but the engine just turned over. I was about to remove the starter motor to jam the flywheel when my friend suggested trying the bottom 3 supercharger to manifold bolts. Being younger, fitter with long fingers (unlike my dumpy fingers) he managed to undo them via the wheel bay through the cleared space. Not easy but he did it.
Next time I do it … there will never be a next time. Lol.
SanRemo78

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 06:13:19 PM »

Great news Neil - now if there is a battery on the car - remove it before you're tempted to turn it over without that timing belt. VX exhaust valves are sodium cooled and expensive...
Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: