Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:42:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracking/geometry settings?  (Read 7063 times)
Mario

« on: November 04, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »

Anyone got any figures for a 79 1600 Coupe?
I just know that the garage won't have any in stock!

Also what can be readily adjusted apart from the tracking?
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 02:37:17 PM »

Would also be nice to know for the HPE if anyone knows Huh?
I believe the only things that can be changed is the tracking on the front, and toe on the rear.

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
hutch6610

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »

Steering Geometry all cars;
Toe-out
0 to 3.5mm (laden)
1 to 2.5mm (unladen)

Rear early cars;
Toe-in 
0.5 to 4 mm (laden)
2 to 5mm (unladen)

Rear later cars;
3 to 6mm (laden)
2 to 5mm (unladen)

So take your pick - its all in the Haynes manual.

As mentioned only tracking on front and rear is adjustable.

Mario

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »

Nice one, cheers!  Grin
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »

There are other ways to adjust geometry on Betas i.e. use 4 adjustable links at the rear then you can adjust camber as well as toe. On Series 2 cars the antiroll bar is on u clamps and the bar controls wheel position fore and aft so if you get a "set back" issue this can be used to correct it. Also slotting the top hole on the front strut inwards allows camber to be changed from positive to negative. I used negative 1 degree 30 minutes on my car with power steering to improve turn in. I also ran the front tow a fraction off paralell.

Note so many Beta Suspension components are bent check with great care first that the front and rear wishbones are straight before paying for tracking. Also note suspension bolts are meant to be tightened with the suspension under load so sort that on your friendly garage 4 post ramp. With the geometry dialed in Betas are amazing in my experience.

Have Fun

Eric   
lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:13:22 AM »

use 4 adjustable links at the rear
I'm planning on doing this with my car Smiley Winter project time. With negative camber on the fronts, are you wasting your time going further than 1 degree negative Huh? (Track use) And other than adjusting the holes in the strut, do you need to use a bush to take up the bigger hole space or i've heard people just using big washers and doing them up mighty tight.

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
rossocorsa
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »

use 4 adjustable links at the rear then you can adjust camber as well as toe.

hmmm nice idea
hutch6610

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 03:39:32 AM »

Well, yes you can mod the suspension if you like but Lancia tuned the suspension to make the car predictable on the road so most people (not just motor sport drivers) could drive them.

A set up for the dry is not necessarily good for wet ... in some cases can be down right dangerous....... so you better do a load of road testing to be absolutely sure first.

Play with it at your own peril .... pretty sure your insurance company will be pleased if you messed with the standard set up.
rossocorsa
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 03:22:22 PM »

personally I was thinking that the doubled up rear arm idea was handy as a means to adjust camber to standard spec. as with all sorts of repairs over the years plus less than accurate original builds there may be room for improvement
hutch6610

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 06:25:52 PM »

Oh i see - you just want to get it back to its original parameters, know exactly what you mean then.
Personally i see no problems with that at all, it just i wanted to warn what could happen if adjustments were taken too far.
Eric knows what hes doing ....by the way, hows Frank and your mate Gino ....... you are Eric who used to live on Lincoln Way Edmonton?

Anyway, reason is a customer bought a coupe  to me to look at (W or X) that had a VX lump fitted minus the power steering - he had had some of the mods mentioned but the problem was that the car ... although would turn in faster .... would not straighten up on its own like a standard set up car, you had to not only turn but straighten it up as well!
Imagine how tiring it would be to drive such a set up on the road?
Guy was a nutter as far as i was concerned - i mean he had a child seat in this thing for his new born - can you believe that.

Oh well "to each his own".
rossocorsa
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »

i would agree that modification can be a case of chasing a non existent holy grail to no good effect that's why i decided to keep my vx pretty much standard and why I'm fitting a dcnf to all the standard gubbins as opposed to going for the dcoe option improvements in moderation is my preference i shan't be changing the suspension arms as it will add more complication unless it appears required from 4 wheel tracking figures ...wait about another 5 years and the car might be ready for that:Smiley
hutch6610

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 09:25:40 PM »

wait about another 5 years and the car might be ready for that Smiley
You said it mate .... same here!
lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 03:44:12 PM »

Prototype at the moment, will need testing etc..., i'll put more details on my blog later tonight.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: