Lancia Beta Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:45:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: And So It Begins....  (Read 15566 times)
SanRemo78

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 08, 2023, 03:27:19 PM »

Well, actually it began quite a while ago.... I won't bore you all with the story but if you want to refresh my story it's here!

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4409.0

So, last July we moved house to a place with a double garage which, in theory, was going to allow me to carry on with the build of Stratos 2 but that never happened as the market went crazy in the last year and I decided to pass it on to another builder with the budget to do it justice. It's being collected some time before Easter so I thought it was about time to start the search in earnest. I'd seen a couple of VX Coupes but the state of the tin didn't make me want to dive in. A couple of very expensive ones (on eBay and at a Newcastle auction house) were possibilities but I decided that I probably needed something to keep me a little busier.

So I bought some bits!

* Stainless Bits.jpg (631.14 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 666 times.)

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
SanRemo78

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 03:30:01 PM »

So, can anyone identify the bits third, sixth and seventh from the top?

I know the top two are gutter trims and there's door card clips and one sill cover but the other two are a mystery to me. Obviously there's a coupe side window and an early (1600?) grille.

I also got these bits

* s-l1600.jpg (519.61 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 661 times.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 04:47:17 PM by SanRemo78 » Logged

SanRemo78

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 03:37:30 PM »

Which left me with a bit of an issue - the bits needed to attach the front bumper to the back bumper.

SanRemo78

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 03:39:16 PM »

So I've just unloaded this onto the driveway

* 323713320_512818650702579_8620974642004145474_n.jpg (173.48 KB, 1242x931 - viewed 673 times.)

SanRemo78

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 04:12:49 PM »

I'm sure some of you will have seen this on eBay recently. Please accept my apologies for my outbidding you. And if you did bid, please keep it to yourself as I ended up paying more than I thought I would(but a little less than I was prepared to pay)! Grin Grin Grin Grin

So, what have I acquired sight unseen (in my defence it was a 500 mile round trip from Formby to Norwich!).

Well, it's a May 1981 2000 Coupe that the registration docs say is white but has a rattle can finish in satin black. It's MOT history on DVLA says it hasn't had it's first MOT yet and the registration document (an old style one) lists a former keeper acquiring the car in December 1992 and the next change in August 2008. So, some long term owners who did nothing with the car than store it. It has some plusses and some minuses.

The minuses:
It's incomplete - I'll come to those bits later.
It has a slight compression issue. It has none. The cylinder head is in the boot. The block is in the engine bay. I have no idea how long they've been apart but the cause of separation is a bent valve. I haven't tried turning the engine yet, the bores look okay, well, at least not rusted up so maybe there is hope for the original drivetrain.
Brakes look beyond saving. Minimum is new discs, overhaul of callipers and blasting/plating/painting of carriers before new pads go anywhere near it.
Power steering. Absent. Actually it has the earlier rack so that's great! I'll get a workout.
Tyres. Well, it has four. And they're a mixture of Continentals and Acceleras. Other than that they're all perished and none will hold air. The rims are 16 inch something or others and look awful (to my eyes) so I'll be going 14inch standard FPS or 15 inch Delta eventually.
It has a sunroof which appears to be flush but I'm not opening until the car is under cover.
Electric windows. Bet they won't work. Ever.
There are puddles in the boot. Sorry - that should have been in the plusses list!
There's filler in the windscreen scuttle panel corners, how much I don't know yet.
It's had the bonnet release cables/mechanisms removed. And bonnet pins fitted so there are now holes in the bonnet that need plating. The pins were in the glovebox.
No fuel filler flap.
Two keys but I can't get the door locks to play nicely...
Speakers cut into the door cards. Hate hate hate.
No history at all. We start from scratch now.
The passenger quarter light is hole free so no mirror on that side. I can't recall seeing one like that before but it's S1 glass so maybe it came like that or earlier glass was fitted after a break in?
There's a Panasonic radio cassette in it. I'll probably find something more suitable looking with a DAB upgrade because:
There a hole in the rear wing for the aerial. Something else to get plated.
Well it has a fuel tank but I have no idea what state it's in. Probably full of rust knowing my luck

Plusses
There are puddles in the boot. Because there are not gaping holes to let it out. There was a couple of bedsheets that were soaking some of it up whist supporting the various dismantled bits stored in there. All removed now to reveal a solid floor and the rear suspension turrets look rock solid. I probably should not have said that just yet.
Front turrets also look solid although there is some evidence of light corrosion and some primer on the nearside inner chassis rail, hopefully that's just preventative!
The underside looks solid too - but I haven't had it up on ramps so that's probably tempted fate once too often.
The interior looks pretty good, the dash has a little delaminatation by the vents and a bubble or two by the binnacle, probably repairable. It smells a little damp but there's no mould. I'll put that down to it being outside for a few weeks and being brought back in torrential rain. The interior will be removed quickly to clean/store/dry so I can assess the state of the floor.

That's about it for now after a quick assessment. Next - the missing bits and a plea?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 06:32:03 PM by SanRemo78 » Logged

SanRemo78

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 04:26:40 PM »

The missing bits - if anyone has spares they are willing to part with please let me know - beer tokens await!

I've deleted the list that was here originally - I've moved it to the parts wanted section and will amend the list and strike through items when I've found them!

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4847.0

Thanks for checking for me!

Guy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:45:21 PM by SanRemo78 » Logged

Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 10:05:01 AM »

Hello Guy, glad that you finally have your Beta.

I definitely have a sill cover that you can have and I have some other trims, but like you, I'm not sure what they are. Next time I have the car out I'll spread them out and take a photo.

On cars of that period the nearside mirror was an extra at purchase.

Enjoy
Neil
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:06:35 AM by Neil-yaj396 » Logged
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 10:08:27 AM »

PS: I have side repeaters, but fairly sure they have the black base unfortunately....
smithymc

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 10:09:57 AM »

Exciting times Guy.

You are welcome to use mine to compare and play spot-the-trim, but not sure it would be the same?

Mark
SanRemo78

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 10:31:06 AM »

Thank you Mark and Neil (and Peter by email).

I see a day out doing the rounds of Shifnal, Grantham and Saltaire to see what's available to finish off the jigsaw! Perhaps it might be better to wait for the disassembly to begin and add to the list and find th first Beta Meet of 2023?

When I emptied the boot I found one side repeater. No studs and part of the base broken off which may explain the Fulvia ones fitted to it. That may yield the stainless trim to convert a black based one.

I've just added a couple of things to the parts wanted thread..

Guy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 10:44:16 AM by SanRemo78 » Logged

squiglyzigly

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 05:26:32 PM »

Nice purchase. Good to see another Beta on the road to recovery.

On the subject of a lock set, If you have a door key, you can re-pin all the locks to match. You can do it yourself or get a willing locksmith to help you out. Its not rocket science, just fiddly. And there's a thread on here about it I think.

cheers
Ian

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
SanRemo78

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 06:34:39 PM »

Thanks Ian, it's not something that scares me at all - somebody put it together so I can take it apart (usually!) but the chances of me fixing all but one of them are high. Plus there's a fair bit to do so shortcuts might be welcome!

Parts wanted list updated. Again!

Nigel

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2023, 08:32:29 PM »

Hello Guy,
The LHD column stalk is available new, but appears to be very slightly different
from the original, as even the LHD cowls don't fit without fettling.
It's worth getting new, as used items always have some wear slop in them.
I got mine from Ricambio but i've seen others selling too.
Expect around £170.

Those numbered trim pieces: I don't think they are Coupe stuff.

Cheers, and good goings with the build
Nigel

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
SanRemo78

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2023, 08:34:51 PM »

Right - the mystery parts are identified after I got them home today after a long round trip from Liveppool to Bristol & back!

Part number 3 is chromed plastic and in the bin now. It's not Beta!
Part number 6 is a carpet edge door trim - I need to have a look at the car and see if they're there or not and, if they're not, which side did I just acquire and add the other to the wanted list.
Part number 7 is a unicorn! Not only is it the rear panel stainless trim that attaches to the two corner pieces that I found in the boot it also has the fixing clips in place! Proper result I think.

Bumpers are okay, I need to have a better look in daylight, the front one has a slight twist at one end that I think I can straighten, all the fixing points are also there and intact! There are two rear ones and one is definitely better, just need to look at the rubber on them and see which is the best.

There's a side window with seal that I don't need but will keep for anyone else who needs one.
There's an early grille (1600) that's been painted red but is warped badly. If anyone want this please shout, I won't throw it away!

Guy

SanRemo78

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2023, 08:40:27 PM »

Hello Guy,
The LHD column stalk is available new, but appears to be very slightly different
from the original, as even the LHD cowls don't fit without fettling.
It's worth getting new, as used items always have some wear slop in them.
I got mine from Ricambio but i've seen others selling too.
Expect around £170.

Those numbered trim pieces: I don't think they are Coupe stuff.

Cheers, and good goings with the build
Nigel

Thanks Nigel - with the exception of one piece they are all Coupe parts. And a great buy at £50 for the lot! Well worth the trip.

I'll keep an eye on various markets for the LHD stalks and cowls. I did change a set back in the day (and don't remember any issues with that but 30 years and the mists of time etc..). I want to change them so the stalk pattern is the same as the Stratos, Alfa and Panda - only Lancia bothered having separate RHD market stalks to keep the indicators on the opposite side of the steering wheel! This old bugger will be constantly wiping the screen when trying to turn left if I don't sort it now!

Guy

Nigel

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 06:23:24 PM »

Guy,
In case you've not seen it, there's a photo on my 'HPE recommission' page
of the 2 small brackets I made in order to fit it to the RHD column.

For the cowls, Kevin (betaveloce) may still have a pair.

Nigel

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
SanRemo78

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2023, 07:36:52 PM »

Thanks Nigel, I'll follow up for the cowls and have a look for the thread with the photograph later tonight!

I've had a slightly productive day cleaning out the scuttle panel of various nuts & bolts left there and taking out loose water rails, the expansion tank and pipework, separating the alternator from the block (not removed as I need to document connections - an earth strap I don't recall but shouldn't be surprised about given the rubber mountings).

And when it was blowing a hooly outside I was busy in the garage cleaning and polishing some of the stainless trim I picked up yesterday! One rain gutter, the rear panel trim and one sill plate done and stored safely out of harms way now. One more gutter trim to do tomorrow.

I've checked the interior and the carpet is fixed down with the plastic edging so the stainless one I collected yesterday is surplus to requirements. If anyone can make use of it please shout! i'm not going to throw it out!

Guy

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2023, 11:58:44 PM »

Hi Guy

The carpet edge trim may be of use to me, suggest you bring it when you decide to venture my way unless of course someone else is in dire need, in that case feel free to send it that way.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
SanRemo78

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2023, 05:54:07 AM »

It's yours Peter!

Guy

SanRemo78

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 07:37:09 PM »

A huge thank you to Tim who supplied a lot of the missing parts today, well worth the drive to the Peak District for a day out with a fellow Lancisti but the pile of parts in the boot of the Alfa, on the back seat and in the footwells was just mega! I'll be unloading it in daylight to avoid damaging anything tomorrow. Wanted list updated again!

Thanks Tim, you're a star!

Guy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: