Lancia Beta Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:13:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wider wheels  (Read 9636 times)
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 12, 2009, 10:36:59 PM »

Hi all,
What's the max width wheel anyone has/has seen on a coupe/hpe, and with what size tyre?

Thanks,
Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 11:30:08 PM »

7x15 with 195/50x15 (seen this)or probably 195/55x15 (nearer rolling radius but not seen it done)  are realistic maximums but I'm sure folks have done bigger, however don't forget that going too big and too low a profile will spoil the handling and ride and cause premature suspension and bearing wear
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 08:51:20 AM »

You might just sneak a 205 on a 16" rim without modifications but there are a couple of points;

The PCD of 98mm is unusual - many wheels don't fit without wobble bolts (which have always sounded like a death trap to me). For obvious reasons Fiat / Alfa / Lancia wheels are popular. 16V Integrale ones are 15x7 and look OK on post F/L cars but not (IMHO) on the earlier ones

If you haven't got power steering then you'll find even 185 gives seriously heavy steering  - even on the move.

Stuart
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:19:12 AM »

When I first bought my current Coupe it had 205's on it........... re the Steering & handling on a road going car:     Horrible, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE !!  IMO   The very first thing I did was get those wheels off, I put 185's on after that and the steering was still too heavy.

I would advise to think carefully about this, form over function may prove a bad route to take if you have no power steering.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:09:50 AM »

When I first bought my current Coupe it had 205's on it........... re the Steering & handling on a road going car:     Horrible, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE !!  IMO   The very first thing I did was get those wheels off, I put 185's on after that and the steering was still too heavy.

I would advise to think carefully about this, form over function may prove a bad route to take if you have no power steering.

check your front strut top mount needle bearings it should only be heavy when not moving
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:28:30 AM »

You might just sneak a 205 on a 16" rim without modifications but there are a couple of points;

The PCD of 98mm is unusual - many wheels don't fit without wobble bolts (which have always sounded like a death trap to me). For obvious reasons Fiat / Alfa / Lancia wheels are popular. 16V Integrale ones are 15x7 and look OK on post F/L cars but not (IMHO) on the earlier ones

If you haven't got power steering then you'll find even 185 gives seriously heavy steering  - even on the move.

Stuart

got to be careful using other fiat/lancia/alfa wheels over offsets as the Beta uses a different layout to later cars which were more Fiat orientated they never did wheels quite as deeply dished as the beta on later cars, also spiders appear to have more restricted space in the rear arches than coupe/hpe
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 09:31:30 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
spud

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 09:15:15 AM »

16V Integrale ones are 15x7 and look OK...Stuart

Just to clarify: These will fit straight on without spacers?

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »

IIRC the Beta offset is 34 and the Integrale offset is 30 so with and 4mm difference the likelyhood is very high.
rossocorsa
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 05:48:18 PM »

IIRC the Beta offset is 34 and the Integrale offset is 30 so with and 4mm difference the likelyhood is very high.

useful website calculator http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

I reckon they'll be a close fit but the fact that they are a bit bigger diameter helps as it helps the inner rim to clear some of the obstacles that a wider 14 inch would probably hit
spud

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 07:14:46 PM »

But with the wheel being around 38mm wider that offset means it's a lot closer on the inside. Too close, methinks... but I suppose there's only one way to find out... so: Who's got a 16v Integrale in Cumbria? Smiley

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »

my after market wheels are 27mm offset haven't tried them yet in anger as the car has been off the road since 02 but a dummy run a while back suggested they fitted ok clearance was tight though
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:05:19 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »

But with the wheel being around 38mm wider that offset means it's a lot closer on the inside. Too close, methinks... but I suppose there's only one way to find out... so: Who's got a 16v Integrale in Cumbria? Smiley

Andrew.

True. It might be worth looking for 8V Integrale ones then - they're 15x6
spud

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 10:27:23 PM »

True. It might be worth looking for 8V Integrale ones then - they're 15x6

With... probably... the same backspace though? The potential problem of them being too far in would remain the same.

my after market wheels are 27mm offset haven't tried them yet in anger as the car has been off the road since 82 but a dummy run a while back suggested they fitted ok clearance was tight though

Ok, but what width are they?

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »

my after market wheels are 27mm offset haven't tried them yet in anger as the car has been off the road since 82 but a dummy run a while back suggested they fitted ok clearance was tight though

Ok, but what width are they?

Andrew.
[/quote]

7x15 with 195s if i ever get the back suspension back on I'll fit them and report on here (don't hold your breath!!)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 01:54:54 PM »

I ran 7x15 with 195 x 50 yokohama on my Beta Spider with power steering and 180bhp engine and would describe it as perfectly weighted even with the camber at the front set to 1.5 degree negative. Bigger tyres on the rear are an issue on Beta Spiders without the arches being modified. I have seen 205 used and will be doing so on my VX Powered Beta Spider. One note of caution, if any part of your suspension is bent bigger wheels and Tyres will highlight the issue. I put 6 x 15 wheels and 195 x 15 x 50 on Terry Woods car and he has enjoyed driving it.

Eric
spud

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 12:07:11 AM »

Eric, this is encouraging information! Do you know what wheels they were and what offset/backspace?

Thanks!
Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 07:36:12 PM »

I ran 7x15 with 195 x 50 yokohama on my Beta Spider with power steering and 180bhp engine and would describe it as perfectly weighted even with the camber at the front set to 1.5 degree negative. Bigger tyres on the rear are an issue on Beta Spiders without the arches being modified. I have seen 205 used and will be doing so on my VX Powered Beta Spider. One note of caution, if any part of your suspension is bent bigger wheels and Tyres will highlight the issue. I put 6 x 15 wheels and 195 x 15 x 50 on Terry Woods car and he has enjoyed driving it.

Eric

looking familiar Eric?? still sat in the garage awaiting car to be finished!! they seem to be german intra-exip brand (although an enquiry about the kba number said that they weren't exip)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »

Wow

It is like seeing an old friend. I got them with a car so I never got to the bottom of the supplier, but they are super light and looked great on the car. From memory 7x 15 ET27 (offset). I look forward to meeting some proper Beta owners again at the NEC show this year.

Eric
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: