Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:34:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Temperature guage...  (Read 2813 times)
Jono

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Beta

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 07:21:05 PM »

Cooling update: back from my technician/workshop. Existing rad out, did contain a good deal of sediment. Block flushed in both directions - again more crud - good condition rad went on, plus new expansion tank. All good, but temp gauge still moves towards red section. Doesn't spend time dwelling centrally. The top hose is never too hot to the hand. It's reckoned my temp gauge is faulty? I will put the word out for a 1st series temperature guage. Haynes shows me it isn't a difficult task.
Nigel

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2022, 10:41:59 PM »

Hi Jono,
All Beta gauges are notorious for odd and incorrect readings, although strangely,
they seem to continue functioning in some manner or other.

It may be worthwhile renewing the sender unit in the head, these can also give
erroneous outputs.

Also consider obtaining a generic temp gauge as a temporary test device.

If there's no signs of overheating, and the fan is cutting in after the thermostat has opened,
it's probably ok. I really understand, though, that a bad indication is just not wanted.

Regards
Nigel

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 11:40:51 PM »

Hi

A quick, cheap and simple check is to get a hand held temperature gun so you can compare as the gauge changes to see what actually changes. Will eliminate various unknowns quickly before you start spending real money on items. They are available on Ebay. The absolute accuracy is not so important for you, just the relative change in temp which you appear to be seeing can be checked.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2022, 02:44:04 PM »

Hi Jono,
All Beta gauges are notorious for odd and incorrect readings, although strangely,
they seem to continue functioning in some manner or other.

It may be worthwhile renewing the sender unit in the head, these can also give
erroneous outputs.

I've had this happen to me, when I was on the way down to France in the Spider. All of a sudden the temp gauge moved into the red and I quickly stopped. Did a full check and all temps were normal. Replaced the errant sender as soon as I could.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
Jono

Beta

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2022, 08:40:40 AM »

Now finally my dashboard temp gauge corroborates my engine temperature, after a bit of manual encouragement from Nigel - needle bending - an early series HPE temp gauge wasn't precisely the same. Disappointingly didn't fit. Two weeks ago my Beta visited  CCK Historic to be analysed on a rolling road. Secured by steel cables and taken up to 6000rpm behind a locked reinforced door. Slightly harrowing experience. I had to sign a waiver, things can go wrong - apparently - but rarely. Primary idle jet replaced, but the major finding was timing was worryingly out by a a nasty margin. Mixture set. Another run in the 'road' and all findings were good. Car runs exceedingly well now, never been better. Not a procedure I'll need to repeat - an expensive one- but really beneficial. J
Nigel

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 09:26:59 PM »

The instrument panel in Jono's car was made by Jaeger. Indeed unfortunate that Peter's
unit wouldn't fit! After thinking about it for a while, and knowing that temps and fan are all
correct, and that a hand-held temp gauge had already confirmed this, and that we knew
that the existing gauge worked, adjusting the needle was deemed the sensible approach.

Jono, your car sounds and performs very well. The rolling road money was very well spent.
..and during the drive, I sat on the correct side!

Cheers, N.

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: