Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:01:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiat Barchetta  (Read 1755 times)
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: January 24, 2022, 01:29:44 PM »

As a summer fun car. Anyone had one?

Should I / shouldn't I?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 02:31:39 PM »

No, you should focus on the Spider…….. or else you will end up with 11+ years like me before it is done!

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 09:58:34 AM »

My friend Mark Lima had one. I think he sold it because it was getting past it's use by date as modern cars do. If you get one be prepared for work on it I would suggest.....
flex

England England

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 10:16:09 PM »

My dad has one that's seen very little use and spent almost all its time garaged for the last 25 years. As a result it is tidy and every thing works. Find one like that, garage it and it's pennies to run. Lots of (service/wear) parts are Fiat Punto and easy to get hold of. There are some more unique parts that can be hard to get hold of.

I have a 1990 MX5 and have driven several, and as a standard car, the Barchetta is better in almost every way. The MX5 on the other hand has such great aftermarket support that anything can be done to your taste for reasonable money. The Barchetta is more limited in this aspect. If you want a RWD hooligan the Barchetta can't touch it, but anything less and the Barchetta is dynamically more competent with a better engine. My mX5 is lightly modified, tidy, but used in all weathers, sometimes does Autosolos and lives outside, so finding a Barchetta for this sort of scenario leaves a very limited market and will probably be more expensive. That said, the Fiat seems to rust less, in fewer places, than an MX5, but they are now 16-27 years old cheap cars and corrosion has to be expected.

There are some familiar features to Beta owners (and some parts like inner CVs are even interchangeable as far as I can see), but in reality they are 2-3 generations apart in technology. That said it's all relatively straightforward and I'm more comfortable doing stuff on the Barchetta than a Beta.

So many cars, so little time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: