Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:26:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer/Winter thermostatic capsule airbox  (Read 1337 times)
Modano

France France

« on: January 16, 2022, 11:01:41 PM »

Hi
as many of you (I guess), my Coupé is fitted with a thermostatic capsule that is supposed to let exhaust gases back in the airbox. I suppose this is replacing the fixed Summer/Winter position of earlier boxes and is supposed to bring a proper amount of exhaust gases depending of the outside temp.
And, as many of you (again, I guess), this capsule is totally out of order (in my case the rod is difficult to move by hand, so I think the capsule, even if it was properly calibrated and ok, wouldn't be able to move the flap).

I have two questions :
- How critical is it ? At worst it is receiving too much hot gases when it is hot outside and engine is hot, or, it is receiving none when air is cold. From what I read, this seems to be an important part of the fuel management, but I don't know how important it is (would it make a properly set up engine go rough ?)
- I see older airboxes from time to time. Is it possible to replace it or did they change the whole intake circuit ?

Thanks a lot
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 11:18:57 PM »

Hi

The air box you are referring to has its cold air intake from the front left of the car. The older manual switch winter/summer air box takes the cold air from the front right of the car. I have the older style air box and I use the car in non icy temperatures, ie normally above 5 degrees and have no issues starting or running it by leaving it on the cold air intake all the time.

I think there were other styles of air box, an Australian one comes to mind. Not sure if that was manual or automatic.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Nigel

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 10:14:03 PM »

There was another that I recall, where the air filter
lid could be rotated between winter and summer.
It had a curved plate mounted vertically that would close off/open
the 2 intakes.

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 11:45:48 PM »

Hi Nigel

That sounds like the one I refer to as being on the early cars. I think the Australian cars also had a different design, but I could be wrong….. poor memory that I have.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
squiglyzigly

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 10:27:45 AM »

There was another that I recall, where the air filter
lid could be rotated between winter and summer.
It had a curved plate mounted vertically that would close off/open
the 2 intakes.

Yes this type is fitted on my series 2 Berlina and I have to say that running the car this winter with the airbox lid set to ‘I’ (inverno/winter) helps prevent the carb icing a little in the first mile or two from cold start.

Ian

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
Modano

France France

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 10:32:20 AM »

Hi All
yes, the box you mention all has a "static" Winter/Summer position I/E in Italian, that is achieved through turning the lid.

This manual position of the lid was replaced by a capsule that in connected to the intake, and that is moving a flap to let more or less exhaust gases into the intake.

In my case, this capsule is broken, therefore there is no automatic exhaust gas intake control at all. I can move the flap manually and freely, but it will stay still.

My question was, how can this impact performance and operations of the engine globally ?
I mean, in my case I have only a few possibilities :
- Full exhaust gas opening, leading to always on hot gases in the intake (leading to carb vapor lock ?)
- No exhaust gas at all, leading to cold temperatures problems maybe ?
- Middle opening

And the bottom line is, maybe it would be better to change the system by an airbox of the earlier models, with rotating lid ?
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 11:05:57 AM »

On my pre-facelift Coupe I always left the lid in the 'Summer' position. It did sometimes lead to a slow warm up.

I must check the capsule on my current car. After 40 plus years I imagine many of these don't work......
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: