Lancia Beta Forum
July 04, 2022, 10:19:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beta Meeta 50th Anniversary 2022 Bookings now open
https://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4385.0

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brake Caliper Refurbishment  (Read 373 times)
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« on: November 22, 2021, 09:58:26 AM »

Any recommendations for firms that would refurbish a Beta Bendix rear brake caliper?

I know that lots of forum members have had good service from Big Redd, but I had a particularly bad experience with them in 2019, so I'm looking for alternatives.

(Ironically this will be my third rear offside brake refurb. It's this one that has seized/failed/broken on my last 3 Coupes)

Thanks
Neil
unclejam

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 04:11:19 PM »

Hi Neil,
Not sure if you have found somewhere suitable for refurbing your calipers yet but I just got a quote for refurbishment of 2 x Beta Spyder calipers from "Brake Caliper Solutions" in their standard paint finish (silver, black, gold) for £129+VAT.  I believe they also upgrade to a higher quality finish for £169 + VAT.
Their blurb states: 
"All stripped down & blasted back to bare cast, finished to which finish you require, then new pistons and seals. Bleed nipples are used."

Not sure whether "Bleed nipples are used" means that they reuse your old ones, or just that they actually fit bleed nipples?

https://www.brakecalipersolutions.co.uk/

1980 Lancia Beta Spyder 2000
Various Alfas
Ducati Monster 1200s
mtulloch

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 04:24:49 PM »

They're not difficult to do it yourself, I did some several years ago and bought some kits not that long ago to do more before I ended up selling the VX recently.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 12:00:46 PM »

Hi Neil,
Not sure if you have found somewhere suitable for refurbing your calipers yet but I just got a quote for refurbishment of 2 x Beta Spyder calipers from "Brake Caliper Solutions" in their standard paint finish (silver, black, gold) for £129+VAT.  I believe they also upgrade to a higher quality finish for £169 + VAT.
Their blurb states: 
"All stripped down & blasted back to bare cast, finished to which finish you require, then new pistons and seals. Bleed nipples are used."

Not sure whether "Bleed nipples are used" means that they reuse your old ones, or just that they actually fit bleed nipples?

https://www.brakecalipersolutions.co.uk/

Thanks for this. I'm currently waiting to see if the calipers need a full refurb or not, but will bear this firm in mind if they do.

unclejam

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 04:36:23 PM »

They're not difficult to do it yourself, I did some several years ago and bought some kits not that long ago to do more before I ended up selling the VX recently.

For me, it's time that I'm short of!  Outsourcing for a full refurb is also cheaper than getting a local garage to service the old ones.

1980 Lancia Beta Spyder 2000
Various Alfas
Ducati Monster 1200s
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 08:08:29 PM »

Hi

Personally either do it yourself or give the job to a company who knows how to do it as has done it before as they are not difficult, but probably easy for someone who is not prepared to take the time and has never done it before to make a codís of itÖ

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: