Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:53:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Top Gear Programme - Lancia Feature 29th Nov 2009  (Read 48580 times)
TreviDash

« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2009, 10:40:25 PM »

Awww.  Don't you feel sorry for it, a teensy bit?

Cheesy

'84 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf
'92 Daimler Six
thecolonel
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2009, 12:02:59 AM »

Errrr,   Nope  ;-})
rossocorsa
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »

You lot are lucky - I've still got a Gamma so I'm a complete outcast.

did I miss something hasn't the gamma been uplifted from mechanical liability to one of the seven truly great cars that Lancia built? even elevated above the aurelia and lambda  Shocked
JoeBeta

« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »

Hi New to forum,  I have a Beta Coupe and believe it is a fantastic car...... Have to agree that the Beta got a bit of a kicking on the show, BUT Lancia in general was shows in quite a positive light,  which means that most of the general public will only remember that Lancia's made great cars??
Personally I have only had positive comments and feedback about the show?Huh??
thecolonel
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »

[/quote]

did I miss something hasn't the gamma been uplifted from mechanical liability to one of the seven truly great cars that Lancia built? even elevated above the aurelia and lambda  Shocked
[/quote]

Yes BUT, look at who said it, I mean, would you buy a second hand car from him ?? ;-})
TreviDash

« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »

Top Gear's Lancia special, 1994

1994 Lancia TV special - Jeremy Clarkson

Is Arthur Mead still with us?

Clarkson's view on the Lancia Beta, taken from 'Unleashed on Cars', 1998

Lancia Beta - by Jeremy Clarkson

'84 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf
'92 Daimler Six
rossocorsa
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2009, 11:43:46 PM »

I forgot one thing they missed re pronunciation that could have been another piss take ....

thema is tay-ma
thesis is tay-sis
so theta is......yes really I heard an Italian pronounce it once

Paul Greenway

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »

Can we all get over this subject? Only us Lancisti & Beta mob keep going on about it. The general TG viewing public will remember that Lancia was voted the producer of the greatest cars ever Smiley Smiley Smiley. They will debate this or disagree this until the cows come home, but they won't remember the particular Beta aspect or that the nuovo nuovo Delta was slated.
The older of this TG viewing generation will unfortunately rightly or wrongly always remember the Beta for rust Huh?, or its great driving abilities Grin, the younger hardly know what a Lancia is, never mind a Beta and they will have missed the point.
Lancia has long been forgotten by the public, but TG along with recent praising articles in Classic Cars and other mags has re raised awareness, prices are slowly climbing (& the prices for good Betas will follow eventually) so this can be no bad thing, lets not take the negatives personally but take it tongue in cheek as its mean't to be taken, or stop watching the programme altogether.
All cars tested new and old on this programme get a certain allocation of praise and a certain amount of slating, look at the new V10 R8, although proclaimed to be a fantastic car (I wouldn't have one- my last two new Audi's have been terrible cars  Cry Cry),JC reckons it has no soul and the Corvette is a better car for your cash. Will this make potential Audi Buyers stop, think, turmaround and head to the nearest Corevette dealers instead? Not on your Life!
Lets all move on and be thankful they weren't any harsher.

1983 Beta Volumex HPE
2009 Alfa Brera 2.4JTD (302)SV
2011 Volvo XC90 D5 (200) SE Geartronic
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2009, 10:08:43 AM »

the younger hardly know what a Lancia is, never mind a Beta
Generally, yep! There are exceptions  Wink

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
Pete

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2009, 09:16:57 PM »

A lot of it old
Not much was new
'though exposure borrowed
For the yellow and blue
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2010, 01:01:29 AM »

if you missed it, it's on BBC Iplayer (best of Top Gear)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qjnw0/Best_of_Top_Gear_Series_13_and_Series_14_Episode_3/

Tony Harrison - Farnborough, Hants
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L(being restored slowly)
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »

Dear all,
not wishing to open old wounds and all that but:

I was down at West Bay in Dorset today with Anne, "Lulu" the lancia HPE was basking in the sunshine after undergoing some mid life "nip and tuck" treatment at Western Lancia. She had also just passed her MOT on Thursday as well. All was well with the world.

So we thought it was time to celebrate with some fresh air and fish and chips etc.

Whilst doing this we were sitting away from Lulu, Anne was gazing out to sea, I was gazing at Lulu.

When along came a family, a little boy aged about 9, with his mum and dad. Son holding his dad's hand tightly.

Little boy said to dad, "look dad, there's a LANCIA. The're good you know. They said so on TOP Gear!
Out of the mouths of babes eh? Television is a powerful thing. The next generation of "TG fans" might just unwrite all the predudice??

I almost choaked  on my chips.

Chas,
(VXdeMAYO). Smiley  Cheesy Grin

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2012, 09:07:53 PM »

Nice one Chas, a breath of fresh air
I have to say the comments we hear at shows like the NEC, the R word is being heard less each year

anyone that missed the Top Gear episode:
Collection of Lancias - Top Gear - BBC

Tony Harrison - Farnborough, Hants
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L(being restored slowly)
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
rossocorsa
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2012, 09:29:59 AM »

yet more evidence against the idiots at Fiat on why branding Lancias as Chryslers is complete and utter madness
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2012, 08:33:43 PM »

Oh I don't know my last Chrysler was pretty good. Though admitedly it was built in Scotland and had Sunbeam written on the back.....

And of course you used to be able to buy a Saab 600 in Sweden.

What goes around comes around as they say!

I'd like the new cars to be badged Lancias over here but to be honest I'd just like them to be superbly engineered, stylis,h drivers cars - which sadly they're not at the moment
Ryan

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2012, 01:53:09 AM »

Oh I don't know my last Chrysler was pretty good. Though admitedly it was built in Scotland and had Sunbeam written on the back.....

Agreed.  I have had a few Chrysler products over the years and have higher opinion of that brand than say, Ford and GM.

I don't know if you got a version of the Dodge Omni over there back then, but my old Omni Shelby GLHS was a good bit of fun.  I can't say the same for the Fieros I've owned.  Junk all of them. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: