Lancia Beta Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:45:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Top Gear Programme - Lancia Feature 29th Nov 2009  (Read 48641 times)
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 10:09:29 PM »

I wonder if the green Coupe used in TG was that 1300 that was seen on Ebay for absolute ages for £550?? 

It was down Littlehamption way IIRC & was parked up next to what looked like an early Integrale.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »

can't tell if it's a 1.3 but no sunroof so not likely to be a 2 litre could have had a good scuttle though and reasonable sills without those damn drain tubes Cheesy
Pete

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »

After looking at the trailer and the various web pages containing location shots I would hazard a guess that Clarkson and his lackey Hammond are going to say "look at these fabulous world championship winning rally cars that Lancia produced, and look at this heap of junk" referring to the Beta. Then they will go about their defamation of the Beta by driving and "Rallying" them, only for the cars to fail miserably due to the TG team's deliberate sabotage or lack of preparation; and for the "rally Lancias" to perform admirably.

It's just my opinion and I could be wrong, but Clarkson is so unoriginal and predictable that I doubt that he can think any further than that. I hope he surprises me but I'm not holding my breath.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:43:33 PM by Pete » Logged
rossocorsa
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:05 PM »

and they tend to forget that the beta provided the basic design building blocks for the Integrale, thema, alfa 164,saab 9000 and suspension wise far more cars than you can shake a stick at from many countries
TreviDash

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 04:40:58 PM »

That depth of knowledge doesn't sell TV though...

But sabotaging and setting one on fire?  That will.

Whatever happens, it's likely the Lancia brand gets some long-forgotten exposure outside of our playing field, and that's a good thing, no?

'84 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf
'92 Daimler Six
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 05:23:16 PM »

Why not wait until the programme is aired?

BTW - if you are irritated by Jeremy Clarkson so much why watch him?  Theres plenty of other programmes on TV?  If you watch TG because of the cars then there has to be some give and take - they cannot please all of the people all of the time!  Also worth remembering that these days it is a "Light Entertainment" show. 

TG was a car show............... back in the days of William Wollard !!!

Seems that some may have already made up their minds before the full show has been seen and started spreading the ( un-necessary IMHO) doom and gloom.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »

*****  I'm so paranoid that now I think it's a huge BBC Conspiracy !!!!    ******

Is "Pete" a BBC secret agent ?

Did he join this forum (recently) to stir up some Lancisti / Beta emotions prior to airing the show claiming to hate JC when actually he's providing the inside info on what Beta owners are saying and thus providing Jeremy with some comedy material?

Also, I think I heard that the BBC are spending our license fees on Ferrari 599's for everyone on a salary over £100, 000 and Dacia Sanderos for everybody under the £100,000 salary threshold. Whether they can drive or not.

Finally, its a little known fact outside of the BBC, that Richard Hammond was actually born on "Fraggle Rock"

And if you haven't already guessed.... it's Friday and I'm having a laugh !
   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »

BTW - if you are irritated by Jeremy Clarkson so much why watch him?
My dad does the same everytime he watches it, says how stupid it is (which it is sometimes) but carrys on watching every second. Its an entertainment program, if you want a more suitable car program watch fifth gear and forget top gear exists?
I'm going to keep it  Lips Sealed for now Wink If its anything like the Botswana episode it'll be hilarious Grin

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
rossocorsa
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »

That depth of knowledge doesn't sell TV though...

But sabotaging and setting one on fire?  That will.

Whatever happens, it's likely the Lancia brand gets some long-forgotten exposure outside of our playing field, and that's a good thing, no?

yep 'any publicity is good publicity' so they say I just hate the thought of the smug grins on the faces of all the LMC old codgers with their 'proper' Lancias if the prog is toned that way
thecolonel
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 10:11:27 PM »

and remember the last Beta on Top Gear was the Botswana one and that wouldn't die

which in my view proves a point, anyway you're all safe 'cause they've got a Gamma............

nuf said  Roll Eyes

the Rallying Lancias on the CLS stand at MPH confirm the essence of the marque and this
should overide any negative opinions AND I really don't care what anyone thinks of my choice
of cars as they're my choice and everyone knows I'm completely mad, I mean who else would
fit a full Luke 3" race harness in a Gamma and try to bend the exhaust to fit twin turbos and
if you're still reading this you really should find something better to do with your time I haven't
read it and I wrote it, oh and all opinions are mine unless otherwise stated by someone who's
opinion I've borrowed, etc etc....
Pete

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 11:10:35 PM »

Smiley I too am sure that it will be another feast of pure entertainment which is why I watch the programme, however I only offered my opinion on the format the show might take, I have no hidden agenda.

imho fifth gear needs a serious makeover.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:48:09 PM by Pete » Logged
rossocorsa
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 11:20:24 PM »

imho fifth gear needs a serious makeover.  Smiley

yes very rarely watch it whereas top gear is entertainment at its best, to be honest I wasn't even too upset over the cardboard magnet and Beta berlina programme all those years ago....but at that time I owned a Flavia Grin
rossocorsa
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2009, 11:28:03 PM »

this is funny

found a website with a model of Clarkson's Botswana Beta.............in LEGO!!

http://lugnuts-cars.blogspot.com/2008_07_01_archive.html

turbospider

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2009, 10:47:18 AM »

We know our Betas are great cars so does it really matter what Top Gear do?  It's a proper 'headturner' car and now more recognised for what it is thanks to Top Gear.  If anything it makes people even more interested to see an unrestored rust free example like my coupe. My car responds to all the misplaced rust reputation in the best way possible.  In reality I suspect Clarkson has a soft spot for the Beta, whatever happens, so let's maintain a sense of humour. 

On the LMC front, I have enjoyed the well organised Goodwood track days with the coupe.  I recommend the experience, taking advantage of the great engine, all round independent suspension, all round discs and 5 speed box!   
TreviDash

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »

Quote from: Pete
imho fifth gear needs a serious makeover.  Smiley
You hadn't heard that Fifth Gear has been canned then?

Quote from: turbospider
In reality I suspect Clarkson has a soft spot for the Beta, whatever happens, so let's maintain a sense of humour.
He does.  Remember his newspaper column the day after the Standford Hall visit?  He raved about the silver Coupe he saw (wasn't it Tony's?)

'84 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf
'92 Daimler Six
Pete

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »

You hadn't heard that Fifth Gear has been canned then?
Which proves my point I suppose. There was a time when Top Gear was dire and off-air for a long time only to be resurrected in its current format.

MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2009, 11:08:17 PM »

Good lead into next weeks show by J. C. In this weeks Top Gear, so far so good !

The fact that they are asking who has made the most 'great cars' is a positive sign.

Looking forward to next weeks show even more. :-)

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
thecolonel
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2009, 11:23:26 PM »

Yes probably very good news for you but........

they didn't call their car MattNoVat did they ?
and then they added a silly moustache didn't they ?

I think a strongly worded letter to the times is in order.

geoff 'thecolonel' (the one with the moustache)

MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »

Ha ha !

Geoff I never thought of that ! How ironic :-)

Maybe you have made an impression on JC and it's subliminally making it's way into the show!

But at least you have been immortalized in Top Gear history!
Now that is cool !!

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
Thotos

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »

The headlights and the seatbelts in the "geoff" car on Top Gear came from a Fiat Panda (the original 'classic' Panda) so geoff's Italianess was maintained.  Grin

Theo Kyriacou
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: