Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:01:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adaptive Cruise control and Lane helper  (Read 1642 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« on: September 19, 2021, 09:24:04 PM »

Hi All

This is very off topic, but I found it interesting and not sure how many folk have actually experienced it.

Background is that my wife changes her car for a new one every 3 years or so via Motability as she uses a modified car with hand controls. All pretty standard stuff nowadays and she has had one since the early 90s. Using hand controls is hard over longer journeys, so we always have cruise control as a required feature of any car. The last 3 cars have been Sharan/Alhambras ie the same car, just different features. The first two had old style ‘normal’ cruise ie set the speed and away you go until you brake or cancel it. The latest one however which we took delivery of two weeks ago has adaptive cruise which is a complete revelation. Not only does it control the speed it senses any vehicle in front and adjusts the speed accordingly to avoid a coming together which means it also controls the brakes. Ie if someone suddenly changes Lane to in front of you the result can be quite severe. What this means is that you can drive for prolonged distances on motorways etc without touching the brakes or accelerator. Overall my reaction is positive, obviously this is one small step towards autonomous vehicles as is the next feature.

The other feature on the car is a Lane sensor, ie looks for the Lane markers and tries to warn you if you are deviating over these markers. The feature is cancelled if you are indicating. The thing which I found really annoying as did my wife, is that not only does it let you know it also takes control of the steering. This not outright take over, but does provide an annoying effort on the steering to try to counteract the wandering as it sees it. It makes changing lanes on a road when not indicating really annoying. This feature has now been disabled.

Others experience on this and other modern controls would be interesting to know.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 07:43:03 AM »

At work we had a 56 plate BMW 325M with one of the earliest adaptive cruise controls and I really liked it for long journeys. I still recall a Leeds/Staines/Leeds drive that would have been tiring in some cars but not in the Beamer.

I've only come across lane control in a Volvo I rented, and that just gave a warning. I imagine it is something that you can get used to with time.
Nigel

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 11:29:21 AM »

I borrowed my sisters Jeep Cherokee [2018 i think] along with a hired trailer to collect
my HPE from Devon.
This thing had lane assist installed, and it was very disconcerting and annoying.
Every now and again I'd feel a kick from the wheel, and a graphic display telling me I'd drifted
about 3 inches off the centre of the lane.
Luckily, the trailer was well weighted and balanced unladen.

A poorly balanced tow, with a less experienced driver, could so easily result in
an overcorrection and blue sky facing down. 

For the return, loaded, journey I 'RTFM' and found the disable function.

Nigel

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
smithymc

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 01:57:07 PM »

Caroline's V70 has lane departure and adaptive cruise. The former can be annoying on a twisty road and but can be switched off- the adaptive cruise is great.

Ours is nearly a decade old now, so lane departure doesn't act on the steering.

Mark
WestonTB

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 09:28:58 PM »

Lets be honest, any car made after 1999 is pretty much the work of satan & it ain't getting better!
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 08:04:08 PM »

Lets be honest, any car made after 1999 is pretty much the work of satan & it ain't getting better!

I agree. The amount of unnecessary, intrusive, surveilling nonsense in modern cars is totally over the top. And adding Internet connectivity to cars and thereby making them hackable was the last straw as far as I was concerned.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 09:14:13 PM »

I had, briefly, a 2019 4th Gen Mazda 3 which was a lovely car but not as much fun as the previous generation. It had adaptive cruise but it's lack of pre-emptive ability drove me nuts. When I'm driving I can see car is about to pull out and when it's going to pull back in so can can slow down or start to speed up accordingly. The computer can't do that - the car is either in front or its not so its behavior is dumb and not particularly smooth either.  I could see it being handy (if you have an auto) in a traffic jam but otherwise it just annoyed me.

The lane departure also wasn't well implemented as it tried to operate in town at 30ish and the emergency brake triggered twice for no good reason when pulling up to the back of a queue.

The worst 'smart' tech I've encountered was on an Insignia  rental car - it when driving round a bend it would conclude anyone walking on the pavement on the outside of the bend was about to be run over and scare the crap out of me with warning gongs.

Tech is great but poorly designed tech or implemented tech worse than not having it. Douglas Adams had that right, I suspect Theo does too!

squiglyzigly

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2021, 08:24:23 AM »

I’m really not a fan of modern computers on wheels. My primary concern has always been maintenance and trying to fix the damn things when computery type stuff goes squiffy.
Now having read this thread with adaptive ‘this’ and lane control ‘that’ scares the hell out of me.
I just want to get in my car and drive without interruptions from systems that suggest I’m not capable of doing it sufficiently on my own.
My only experience of driving new cars is little rental cars with none of these options fitted.

I have to agree with WestonTB. Post ‘99 cars are the work of Satan.

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 04:57:52 PM »

Hi Chaps I own a work of Satan BMW 5 series that was a dealer demonstrator so packed with bizarre options including adaptive cruise control head up displays lane control internet connection adaptive suspension etc etc. I spent a whole day in it after delivery just to get a grip on the instructions.
The head up display is now a handy sunglass storage space which is far more useful and voice activated cruise control was turned off long ago.

I get into the Lancias for real world therapy.

Eric
Clifford

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2021, 06:56:55 PM »

For my sins I drive a Mercedes E class daily.
The first time it beeped and then displayed a message suggesting I needed to have a coffee was a bit bizarre.
It was early hours of the morning and I was a bit tired though.
I waited another half hour but it didn't produce one. I was a bit disappointed with it then.
C
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2021, 08:23:23 PM »

If it's any help a colleague of mine has just taken delivery of a Tesla 3. Only the indicators are a manual switch, even the wipers are voice activated. Pointless.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2021, 08:56:58 PM »

I drive a modern Abarth and aside from having Bluetooth it's pretty much neanderthal in it's design and the way it drives, perfect for a grumpy old fart. I can't be doing with all this modern forget you are driving stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: