Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:04:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing the dashboard  (Read 2071 times)
Modano

France France

« on: May 15, 2021, 12:25:15 AM »

Hi
I always had a couple of fast flashing issues (maybe reopen/open a topic), but since I got my Coupé back (1981), I now have the left indicator light, and hazard light off.
Hazard are working fine, Indicators are working fast, but very slow.
Also, the fuel gauge sometimes was moving on itself.

I'd like to remove the dashboard to check/change bulbs, and check the earthings there. I just found out a post and I'm pretty sure these are dirty and cause a part of the problem.
There are the 4 plastic screws, but then, is there anything special I need to do before pulling it (and how to pull it ?), just lower the wheel and pull ?
It is in a very good shape, no scratches, nothing, I'll be a shame if I ruin it Sad

Thanks,
Nigel

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »

Good morning.
Disconnect the battery negative. Adjust steering column fully down.
After removing the 4 screws, release the speedo cable from the gearbox and lay it flat across the engine or battery.

Push the speedo cable a little, then pull the dash. Repeat if necessary. Use the long dash screws to wiggle it out.

Behind the dash,remove the small pipe from the oil dipstick. Slide the speedo cable locking ring off.
Then remove, by pushing the tabs, the 3 electric connectors.

Edit: When refitting, lube the speedo cable outer with silicon so it slides through the firewall grommet easily.

That's all.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 06:22:30 PM by Nigel » Logged

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
JohnFol

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 05:57:35 PM »

good advice on releasing speedo from gearbox end. A real bugger of a job refitting if you don't ...
Modano

France France

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 05:01:15 PM »

Thanks for the tips Smiley
I already cleaned the green earth cable (from battery negative to the plate that protects the clutch cable, and to the gearbox), no on to the dashboard Smiley

Modano

France France

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 07:58:33 PM »

Good morning.
Disconnect the battery negative. Adjust steering column fully down.
After removing the 4 screws, release the speedo cable from the gearbox and lay it flat across the engine or battery.

Push the speedo cable a little, then pull the dash. Repeat if necessary. Use the long dash screws to wiggle it out.

Behind the dash,remove the small pipe from the oil dipstick. Slide the speedo cable locking ring off.
Then remove, by pushing the tabs, the 3 electric connectors.

Edit: When refitting, lube the speedo cable outer with silicon so it slides through the firewall grommet easily.

That's all.
Hope this helps.

Hi,
I don't want to damage anything: I unscrewed the speedo cable. It lays flat. I don't seem to be able to "push" it, but I could manage pulling the dashboard a little bit.

Now to go further, do you think it would be better to (while still trying to "push" the speedo)
- Try to pull it from "above" as there is some clearance now (I can put my fingers in)
- Pull it from the side left,right,left,right ?
- Try to pull from "below" ?
- Use a tool (flat screwdriver) on one of the edges ?

What would be the best, safest option to pull the dashboard, and then access the cables/speedo casing ?
Nigel

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 09:35:15 PM »

Hi Modano,

First, spray some silicon lube on the cable outer right by the firewall.
That will help with moving it through the rubber grommet.

The oil level gauge bellows protrude below the bottom of the panel, so
during extraction, the panel needs to be rotated down [from the top] and lifted
slightly. It is sometimes a fiddly process, but there's nothing except dash surround
to get in the way.

Hope this helps. Nigel.

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
Modano

France France

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »

Thanks Smiley
That helped.
As previously said, the key here is to push the speedo cable, pull gently, repeat. and knowing the oil level gauge (which is not working although the "balloon" seems fine) protrude helped as well to avoid any big scratches on my pristine dashboard (definitely the best looking part in my Coupé).

I replaced a couple of blown bulbs.
Unfortunately (or fortunately), earth connections behind the dashboard were pretty clean. No oxydation whatsoever. I removed/put them back as it usually scratches a little bit.

Oddly enough, the W1.2W brand new bulb I put for my left indicator seems a bit "darker" than the right one (and when using hazard lights, it seems to light 0.2 sec after right indicator light).

So now, I have to work on another topic that is a MOT (in French, Controle Technique or CT) issue, the indicators light flashing way too fast.
In the past I could manage, while cleaning earth connections in the engine bay to make them stay "stable" 6 to 8 seconds before it goes crazy, but now, it's instant crazy.

I saw a couple of posts including the one that fixes the indicator flashing unit (by unfortunately taking away the very nice handbrake flash Sad).
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 03:29:51 PM »

Hi

To solve your indicator problem, change the indicator module to a modern led compatible one, that will run at normal speed regardless of load issues caused by blown bulbs etc. Simple and cheap.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: