Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:00:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: historic vehicle tax  (Read 3519 times)
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2021, 08:44:14 AM »

Hi

Given that most of our cars are now in the category, I was curious if anybody was NOT going to have an MOT on their car?

Just to say I am in the camp of having the test done regardless. I had a fail on the Saab a few years ago which was due to broken front spring. I could not see it was broken, due to the position of the break, until I removed the strut, but the tester said it was very common fault. Not having the MOT would not have found it.

Peter

Unfortunately I don't have a high level of confidence in MOT testers with old cars and I suspect there is a temptation to rubber stamp 40+ cars in good condition. It was the trade that wanted the exemption, not the Government, because they considered testing old cars not to be cost effective. I'm not getting the Beta tested this year, but will revue this going forward.

Coincidentally I got a reminder to tax the car yesterday. It only took 5 minutes online, but it seems a pointless bit of bureaucracy. Not sure why they don't just let it roll over unless you SORN....
frankxhv773t

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 12:13:54 PM »

While it may seem a pointless from the car owner's side it's an important way of officially keeping tabs on where cars are and what is in use on the road. For example, without it the fbhvc couldn't have recourse to official statistics to promote our cause.

1995 Dedra 2.0 16v SW
1987 Y10 Fire
1977 Beta Spider 1.6
1962 Flaminia Berlina 2.5
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »

Hi Neil

I understand your point and when I look at some cars/vans on the road which are much younger you have to question how thorough the tester actually was. I think it all depends on your view of why you are having it tested. I therefore would be looking for someone who actually took an real interest in checking the car out which would help me keep the car in good shape and feel safe when driving it.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
betabuoy

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 01:19:49 PM »

While it may seem a pointless from the car owner's side it's an important way of officially keeping tabs on where cars are and what is in use on the road. For example, without it the fbhvc couldn't have recourse to official statistics to promote our cause.

Hi Frank, I'll still be taxing my Beta every year through DVLA - just like we do with our '67 Moggie and the '25 Chummy - it's just the charge is £0.00 so surely this generates a stat for FBHVC of cars on the road?

Chris

1979 Beta Coupe S2FL (1st registered May 1983!)
1967 Morris Minor Traveller
1925 Austin 7 Chummy
SanRemo78

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 03:07:49 PM »

Well believe it or not the Stratos replica has historic status.... Thank you DVLA & pre SVA/IVA procedures.

So, whilst I don't officially need to take the car for an MOT every year I will continue to do so, taking it to the same garage that it's always been to. Rarely gets the same examiner mind.... And the one who attempted to pass it without giving it a proper look over was asked to do it right by myself! I struggle to get underneath the car these days and whilst i am familiar with it enough to know when something isn't right, an examiner, with a pit, can spot things before it gets expensive.

Plus the thought of an accident and the insurance company asking for proof of proper maintenance... Nah, always going to MOT it at a garage that understands it and will take the test seriously!

Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
frankxhv773t

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 07:02:12 PM »

Chris, being "exempt" may be one of those popular misnomers. Technically they are exempt from "paying" not exempt from being taxed, similar to new zero emissions cars. The rules may however change in future so from a government standpoint everything has to stay recorded. There may also be a computer dimension whereby something like the ANPR system needs to a current tax status less than twelve months old in order to work. I had that with my work where my department would have been charged tens of thousands of pounds by the I.T. provider to reconfigure a system to remove a taxation item that was obsolete. It was more practical to record a nil return than rewrite the system.

1995 Dedra 2.0 16v SW
1987 Y10 Fire
1977 Beta Spider 1.6
1962 Flaminia Berlina 2.5
betabuoy

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2021, 08:59:45 AM »

Frank, That’s exactly my point from your earlier post. DVLA, and hence Govt, know what cars are on the road through the taxation process even if you choose not to record an annual MOT.

1979 Beta Coupe S2FL (1st registered May 1983!)
1967 Morris Minor Traveller
1925 Austin 7 Chummy
mtulloch

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »

chassis number is 828bs1004945-engine number is 3339789 thx

It's March 1980

Hi Rossocorsa, is it just the chassis & engine number you need to determine the build date? Thanks.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2021, 11:10:55 AM »

chassis number is 828bs1004945-engine number is 3339789 thx

It's March 1980

Hi Rossocorsa, is it just the chassis & engine number you need to determine the build date? Thanks.

Just the chassis number and model
mtulloch

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2021, 08:55:59 PM »

I'll have a look & PM you the details if that's ok. Thanks.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2021, 09:35:45 PM »

I'll have a look & PM you the details if that's ok. Thanks.

Sure no problem
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 09:49:26 AM »

So how do I prove build date for my S2 Montecarlo? I have a VIN number and the mysterious build numbers behind the right headlight.
I know S2 Montecarlo build started January 1980 and stopped September 1981.

As I understand it to be eligible for historic status and tax free it needs to have been built before January 1981.

Can Neil validate this directly or does he need help from Rod at TMH for example?

The car is registered in 1983, but as we know that has nothing to do with build date.

Help gratefully received. I am in the LMC and tax is due in August this year.

Thanks

Eric   
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2021, 08:03:14 AM »

So how do I prove build date for my S2 Montecarlo? I have a VIN number and the mysterious build numbers behind the right headlight.
I know S2 Montecarlo build started January 1980 and stopped September 1981.

As I understand it to be eligible for historic status and tax free it needs to have been built before January 1981.

Can Neil validate this directly or does he need help from Rod at TMH for example?

The car is registered in 1983, but as we know that has nothing to do with build date.

Help gratefully received. I am in the LMC and tax is due in August this year.

Thanks

Eric   

Eric

Email a copy of your V5 and a photo of the chassis plate to dvla@lanciamc.co.uk and I'll have a look. I'll need your postal address for the letter too.

DVLA had a little spat about the last Monte I did, but the owner had wound them up with an email from Pininfarina which they objected to (God knows why!) and demanded the relevant page from Glasses Car Check. This is useless as it only quotes the prefix of Lancia VINs.....

Cheers
Neil
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 08:22:16 AM »

The 1981 records that I have are incomplete due to a change over to joint records with Fiat, in some cases I think that only Fiat heritage might have the information or with a monte pininfarina as they were the actual manufacturer something which DVLA are unlikely to understand.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2021, 10:27:32 AM »

Hi Neil

You have email including VIN and build date number which I think Rod at TMH has worked out.

Please let me know if you need more.

Thanks

Eric
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: