Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:59:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Beta Coupe Fan  (Read 1696 times)
AdamT

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 07, 2021, 02:48:36 PM »

Hi All, 

I've recently joined the LMC and registered here so thought I'd say Hi. I don't have a Beta yet, but I'm hoping to fix that over the next few months if I can find a suitable Beta Coupe.

I have to admit that although I consider myself a car nut, I wasn't really familiar with the Beta Coupe until recently. I have been looking to get an older (70's) car for the last few years, with various makes and models capturing my imagination at different times. Then recently I stumbled on a video of a Beta Coupe and something clicked. I'm not even sure what it is about the shape and design that makes me like it, but I find it has a very simple elegance (preaching to the choir!). I managed to get along to the National Rally in July to see some in the metal and talk to a few people, the examples there looked great!

Anyway, I'm part way through building a new garage workshop at my home near Evesham, which means I'm now on the lookout for something suitable to put it in! I've been keeping an eye on all of the usual places, and trying to evaluate the few Coupes that I have seen come up for sale. I have to say that the knowledge and helpfulness of the members on this forum has already been so valuable. It's great to know that these cars have a fighting chance with passionate people behind them. Really good to see such a friendly atmosphere too, quite different to a few other (non-Lancia) forums that I've frequented.

So hopefully it won't be too long before I can join the ownership experience. Until then, I'll have to make do with my little inspiration model coupe!

All the best,
Adam

* 143 beta coupe.jpg (424.06 KB, 1696x1272 - viewed 249 times.)

2006 CCM FT35
2000 VW Lupo
1998 Lotus Elise S1
1994 Honda XR250R
1985 BMW R65LS
1979 Yamaha SR500
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »

Good to have you on the good ship Betaboyz, Adam  Grin And yes, you are absolutely right - this is a friendly place and people are always willing to help and offer advice. Good luck with your search! Are you looking for a fixer-upper, or one where most (or at least some) of the work has already been done? I'd keep a close eye on the 'Cars for sale' section, folks often post up details of cars they've seen that merit attention (not always for the best of reasons, it has to be said)...

Graham

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
AdamT

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 03:34:13 PM »

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the welcome. I've just been having a look through the sale section, great to get people's thoughts on the what's out there.

I'm fairly open when it comes to the condition; part of the reason for building my new workshop is so that I can actually take on a project with a decent space for working on it. I have done bits of fabrication over the years for work and for fun, and having recently upgraded my welder, so I don't mind getting some value out of it now! Having said that, I've seen a few "for restoration" adverts that look sadly beyond help and I'd like to avoid the worst of what's out there. Ideally it would be something that I could use (either as bought or with some minor work to get going) before doing a more significant rebuild thereafter. I imagine that's what everyone wants though, so I'm preparing myself for the possibility/probability of getting a non-runner and spending some quality time with it!

It's going to be a little while before my new workshop is finished, so I'm not in a too much of a rush, although I probably have just about enough space to squeeze one into my current garage if a good deal comes up. I just have to fight my own enthusiasm for buying the first thing I see on ebay regardless of condition Smiley
Adam

2006 CCM FT35
2000 VW Lupo
1998 Lotus Elise S1
1994 Honda XR250R
1985 BMW R65LS
1979 Yamaha SR500
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 03:55:53 PM »

Hi Adam

Please do not rush it, spend some time getting to know the good and the bad points, then you will make a decent purchase rather than a complete basket case. Many of the ones on Ebay over recent time which are described as projects are good for spare parts. Also over recent years the spare parts cars have gone up significantly in value (or at least what folk appear to be paying for them), so my advice is go for a car which has most if not all the parts, especially the trim both inside and out as those are often the hardest parts to find. The bodywork condition is also a major concern, scuttle, inner and outer front and rear wings being a good place to look. There is the odd mechanical part which can be a pain to source, but in general most mechanical parts can be found.

If you are around this Aug bank holiday and can get up to near Thame, come along to the Betameeta where you can at least see some decent ones and talk to owners.

All the best with the search and do not limit yourself to Ebay, checkout Facebook etc.

Peter

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
AdamT

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 04:50:20 PM »

Thanks for the advice Peter, its always good to get sensible advice whenever a vehicle purchase is imminent, let alone a car 40+ years old!

I'd seen the event details for Betameeta but I'll be away in the Lake District that weekend, so won't be able to make it this time unfortunately. I'll keep an eye on the events page for another opportunity though!

Adam

2006 CCM FT35
2000 VW Lupo
1998 Lotus Elise S1
1994 Honda XR250R
1985 BMW R65LS
1979 Yamaha SR500
AdamT

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 09:14:53 PM »

I thought I'd post a quick update here. I have ended up buying a Fulvia Sport that came up on the LMC forum, so the Beta is going to have to wait for now. I still hope I get the opportunity to own one at some point!

2006 CCM FT35
2000 VW Lupo
1998 Lotus Elise S1
1994 Honda XR250R
1985 BMW R65LS
1979 Yamaha SR500
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 10:51:14 PM »

Hi Adam

Ah yes, that Fulvia Sport. It did look to be a decent one to buy. From memory it was one offered by the son of a deceased LMC member for sale via the LMC forum.

All the best with it.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Nigel

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 06:21:16 PM »

Hi Adam,
I wonder if you've seen Harry's Garage U tube videos on his Fulvia Sport?

I have no doubt yours is better than his turned out to be!

All the best,
Nigel

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
AdamT

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 09:13:50 PM »

Hi Peter, yes, I had thought the chap had said his father wasn't a member, but there is an old LMC sticker in the car so he must have been at some point. There's a fair amount of receipts and paperwork so I'm piecing the history together slowly.

Hi Nigel. I've been watching Harry's Garage for the last few years so enjoyed finding out more about his Zagato as he started doing episodes on it. I'm hoping that mine isn't quite as bad as Harry's was, but it definitely needs a bit of work. The main thing is that it's in a reasonable working order at the moment (from what I know so far), so there's plenty for me to tinker with and improve before doing a bigger body restoration at some point.

Here's a shot from when I got it home Smiley

Adam

* Fulvia Sport Side Profile.jpg (806.25 KB, 1772x1329 - viewed 174 times.)

2006 CCM FT35
2000 VW Lupo
1998 Lotus Elise S1
1994 Honda XR250R
1985 BMW R65LS
1979 Yamaha SR500
AdamT

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 09:15:29 PM »

I'm sure I'll put a new post on the LMC forum before too long, conscious that I'm now slightly off topic here! Smiley

2006 CCM FT35
2000 VW Lupo
1998 Lotus Elise S1
1994 Honda XR250R
1985 BMW R65LS
1979 Yamaha SR500
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 10:10:11 PM »

Hi Adam

No problem from my point of view.

What always amazes me is the sheer quantity of Fulvias out there compared to the Beta. Largest posting on LMC and Lancisti forums is always Fulvia owners.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: