Lancia Beta Forum
July 04, 2022, 11:06:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beta Meeta 50th Anniversary 2022 Bookings now open
https://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4385.0

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: My 1.6 coupe restoration (formerly back in red + rust)  (Read 6015 times)
Nigel

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2022, 12:12:59 AM »

And the 1.6 (1585) engine is my favourite.

I concur Ian. An almost 'square' engine, smooth and quiet.
And probably very tuneable to silly figures.

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
chrisc

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2022, 08:45:19 PM »

This deserves an update! after the initial burst to get it painted, a few things happened

• We discovered more rust (of course we did!)
  • We found we needed some hard to find parts
  • My restorer had a sudden death in the family
  • My funds needed to regroup

These things meant it had to get off the front burner for the restorer to make way for other bits, and now we have the challenge of getting back into it, and to be honest it's borderline if it'll be ready for the 50th Sad

I popped down today to deliver the hard to find bits (brake bias valve, cambelt tensioner pulley, tie rod link) and have a look at the car, as I've not seen it in the metal since it's been painted

Typically the rain came out, which delivered mixed blessings - never view a car in the rain as they say, but it turns out to be great for seeing if the roof curvature is right after the sunroof removal

That's turned out way way better than I expected

Most of the shiny bits still need to go on, and some panel gaps still need tweaking, but nice to see it, especially with the front valance damage sorted, and of course the rust sorted.

Dash is more or less back in, new brakes are on expect handbrake cables..

Immediate goals - new cambelt on, exhaust on, handbrake done, then it's on to the recommissioning side - hopefully as it was a runner before it won't be too painful, but we have still yet to figure out why it was left without any coolant in for 20 years (and what damage that's caused), plus I'm bracing myself for the 'need a new fuel tank' call.

Current:
S2FL Coupe 1600 (restoration project)

Former Lancias
HPE VX A52 VGK (parts donor)
C363 RPC (probably still sorned in cumbria with it's new owner)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2022, 06:35:57 AM »

Hi Chris

Read with interest. I suggest no coolant for 20 years buy and fit a new water pump and change the core plugs in the block. They will have rusted from the inside and will probably leak later. Also you should have a full chemical coolant system flush very high on your list for just after start up. If possible use a garden hose to push water through the engine from the rear rail before you fit it and still with the old water pump and core plugs. You want to do all you can to shift rush scale and old antifreeze crystalised gel stuff. If you do not get a new water pump on there it will probably demand attention not long after first start up.

Good luck

Eric
chrisc

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2022, 08:09:28 AM »

Agree with all that, and the flush needs to be soon, because if the heater matrix leaks I want to find out before the interior is fully back together.

Chances of doing the core plugs with the engine in?

Current:

Former Lancias
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2022, 11:47:21 AM »

Hat eaten! Have to confess that when I first saw your car on here I was 90% that it would end up in the scrap yard once you found all the rust, even perhaps that the lower A pillars would be beyond economic repair....

Well done you and hope it does make it to the 50th.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2022, 05:41:25 PM »

Hi Chris

Possible but nasty compared to doing them before fitting the engine. The GC manual tells you how if you are unsure and they are common to multiple TC blocks. The cheap plastic S2FL heater tap is the top candidate for leaking after installation. I remember thinking I had been stung by a wasp from the hot water on my foot! 

Back in the day I de-scaled the heater matrix core with Kettle de-scaler

Eric
chrisc

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »

Hat eaten! Have to confess that when I first saw your car on here I was 90% that it would end up in the scrap yard once you found all the rust, even perhaps that the lower A pillars would be beyond economic repair....

Well done you and hope it does make it to the 50th.

Well, let's be honest, at the time I bought it, I'd been looking for a coupe for about 2 years and the choice was between this and some utter basket cases. Since then some lovely examples have come up for sale that make this project look like a fools errand, but that's spilt milk, under the bridge!

Current:

Former Lancias
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2022, 07:28:31 PM »

Hi Chris

I have to sort of disagree on the fools errand, you now know for sure the state of your car, good and bad bits. What looks good from a buyers point of view can often be mediocre when you finally dig into it unless there is documented recent work etc. The cost side of it can however be less attractive of course!

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
chrisc

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2022, 03:55:20 PM »

Slightly off topic, I'm off to the lake district at the end of the week and had in mind to pop over to see what ever happened to my old HPE VX - the guy who bought it isn't far away, but never used it or put it through another mot / tax, which surprised me as it was in excellent condition.

Had a nose on streetview to look at historic images, and what do you know..

July 2015 it was still there and someone was at least interested in it!

Current:

Former Lancias
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: