Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:39:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: My 1.6 coupe restoration (formerly back in red + rust)  (Read 17315 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2023, 04:46:25 PM »

Hi Chris

I had not heard about the meet at Mark’s, but just checked his website and not yet confirmed. I am free so will be able to go.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
SanRemo78

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2023, 08:04:53 PM »

Unfortunately the proposed date clashes with the Malvern Kit Car show I’m committed to. Hope the date moves but I’ll be visiting Mark this year at some point!
Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
chrisc

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2023, 08:03:37 PM »

Todays task - enjoy the sunshine, but also put on a better (plus safe and legal - bonus!) wheels and tyres on the car. Reminds me I must dig through my parts for decent wheel centres - I have no idea why someone thought fluorescent yellow would be good on these ones..

Little and often hopefully will see it on the road soon. Screens are going in on friday. I think my next small step will be putting the repeaters back on and then tackling the face of the car, putting everything back on properly there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 11:43:07 PM by peteracs » Logged

Current:
S2FL Coupe 1600 (restoration project)

Former Lancias
HPE VX A52 VGK (parts donor)
C363 RPC (probably still sorned in cumbria with it's new owner)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2023, 11:45:55 PM »

Hi Chris,

Looking good, hope the tape around the screen does not cause any problems with the paintwork.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
chrisc

« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2023, 06:40:09 PM »

Fingers crossed. It hadn't caused any dramas when it was taken off for the roof to be repainted after a reaction to the previous paint layer.

My next challenge - how to repair side repeaters where the locating bolts are gone? I'm thinking either just Dremel out the area where the captive bolts were, then try and remake it with new bolts and a glue gun, or perhaps glue in a plastic lug and use self tapping screws from inside the wing?

Is there a proven route for repairing these? New ones seem to be heinously expensive

Current:

Former Lancias
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2023, 08:04:20 PM »

Hi Chris

You could just stick them on. Obviously you need to use decent double sided tape. Eric swapped me a pair he had repaired the screws, so he may be able to suggest a solution.

You also should find a pair of later black surround ones at a cheaper price than the chrome/plastic surround. If you already have the earlier chrome/ metal ones they tend to more desirable than the the plastic surround ones.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2023, 07:37:55 AM »

I bonded new Stainless Bolts to the Siem units using JB Weld. I also have some new chrome surround ones somewhere. Clearing the last lock up post move starts soon so It will be less of a mystery and I will list parts for sale.

Eric
chrisc

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2023, 08:50:11 AM »

I bonded new Stainless Bolts to the Siem units using JB Weld. I also have some new chrome surround ones somewhere. Clearing the last lock up post move starts soon so It will be less of a mystery and I will list parts for sale.

Eric

Thanks Eric, did you cut out a space where the old bolts were, then glue, or just glue on top of where the old bolts were?

Current:

Former Lancias
chrisc

« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2023, 08:50:16 PM »

Todays detailed cack handed - side repeater repair.

Having looked in my bike bits toolbox there were some perfect bolts to be about the right size and length. If memory serves these are from attaching disk brakes to the hubs.

So to fit them, step one, cut out the stubs of the old bolts with a dremel

Step 2 - put a thin sanding bit on the dremel and it makes the perfect size hole for the bolt head

Step 3 - reach for my long out of date adhesives box in the garage.. the JB weld plastiweld (right) was perfect.. unfortunately 99% of the hardener had long since hardened, and because I'm impatient, rather than ordering more, I reached for the next thing in the box - evo stik impact adhesive (left). This was also well past its best, but I poked a hole further down the tube to get some remaining liquid out..

Both options seem solid, but I'd definitely recommend the JB weld option over the evo stik Smiley

Current:

Former Lancias
SanRemo78

« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2023, 09:09:28 PM »

Excellent fix! I plan on doing something similar with a couple of damaged repeaters I was donated by Tim Weston, primarily because they'e the ones with the stainless steel trim. I'm sure I can build up a spare set from all the bits I've acquired. Plus the Fulvia repeaters my car came with have been promised to a Fulvia owner who has a set of Beta ones fitted! I may get them on PX if the paintwork underneath his is okay!

WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2023, 02:36:16 PM »

Glad you got the job done! I used stainless bolts from a multi-pack with the JB weld. Just check the glue is not too high to have them fit snuggly.

Eric
PS I also have cycle disc mounting bolts in a tool box hanging around! 
chrisc

« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2023, 08:23:30 PM »

Hurrah! screens are in!

Pilkington remade screen was a good fit, not 100% perfect round the top corners when trying to slot in the trim there but close enough, and to be honest I've seen original screens with the same headache.

In other news, I am an idiot. Bolt size I glued on to the indicators (which I ended up peeling off the evo stick and using just jb weld) - 4mm. Size of the bolt holes in the wings - 3mm.

I'm having a word with myself about whether or not to just break out the drill, or do the indicators again Smiley

Current:

Former Lancias
SanRemo78

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2023, 08:51:15 PM »

Indicators every time.... leave the paint alone!

WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2023, 07:27:47 AM »

Who did the screen fitting please I have mine needing to be done once I have the headlining in for the inner screen trim to meet up with (Spyder). On the bolt size it did not click with me locking at the pictures. If anyone on here building a car has never made this sort of mistake they can step forward!

Keep going and enjoy it.

Eric   
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2023, 05:27:14 PM »

Hi Eric

I used a local guy so no good to you, but the key here is to find someone who used to fit screens in the 80s, ie before all the modern screen methods came into production as the area which is bonded is so small compared to modern ones and then there is the stainless trim……

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
chrisc

« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2023, 04:08:43 PM »

Have pm'd you eric.

Indicators.. I guess the chromes originally had a black surround - given the flat back of them and the curved wing of the car, can't see how they would have fitted. At any rate, I didn't have any surrounds so I made some out of silicone as a suitably squishy material to match the contours. Photos to follow shortly.

Other job.. aside from a good sweep and vacuum out of the interior, I started taping the wiring harnesses to help figure out routing and generally what does what.

Did the loom that runs down the right side of the car. Discovered I had underestimated the amount of tape required Smiley

I got to looking at the loom at the back and there's just such a hodgepodge of repairs to sort out I figured I'd better come back to that fresh. Plus it's all been thatcham coded in rosso corsa by the painter  Huh?

Left hand loom, I couldn't make sense of why mines been routed through the centre of the car. Can't see any reason why it would be - hints? I'm presuming routing wise I'll keep each side just inside the floor pans and then behind the strut towers.

Gave the whole thing a sweep out and a vacuum, which helpfully exposed several mystery wires as just random offcuts, so perfect simplification territory. Such an odd mix of good and bad in the repairs that have been done. Give it 6 or 7 years use and I reckon I'll have regrouped myself enough to do the remaining bits properly again

Current:

Former Lancias
SanRemo78

« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2023, 04:35:19 PM »

Having just stripped my loom out I can confirm that there are three runs from the dash harness backwards, one down each side of the car on top of the sills in the channels, held in place by a tar like goop, they run up by the rear side trims, between the suspension towers and outer wings to the back lights and fuel tank etc. The centre harness deals with any window switches you may have and the switches on the centre tunnel.

Guy

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2023, 10:27:37 PM »

Hi Chris

When finally taping it all use loom tape rather than insulation tape. The loom tape does not leave a mess on the wires after time which insulating tape will.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
chrisc

« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2023, 08:37:49 PM »

Small but enjoyable progress continues amidst a busy work schedule and weekends.

Ahead of our jubilee street party I taped the left side wiring loom.. then looked at the hodgepodge at the back again and ordered some nice ratcheting pliers + crimp connectors.

Yesterday we had an outing to the Auto Italia day at Prescott hill climb, sadly without the beta although the family wagon with its sliding doors and isofix is easier for carting the toddler about. Couple of montecarlos, but no other betas there. Plenty of fulvias, and I had a good chance to assess if their side repeaters would do for a beta, but sadly I don't think they will as the wing curvature on the fulvia has the bases deeper at the front, whereas on the beta they are more even.

Fantastic 037, first time I've ever seen one in person

Tanc Barret had a stand there.. so I collared him to establish whether their skills extend to Betas. A nice chat for sure, and maybe when I get to more detailed jobs but right now for my car to visit him I think it'd cost me an arm and a leg. Maybe once I've ticked off the small jobs I can do.

This afternoon, I finally got a few hours to spend on the car. Given the choice of tackling the ugly but working rear wiring loom, I instead went for trying to tidy up the face of the car that had been hastily thrown together and was annoying me. I thought I'd start with headlight surrounds + grille. Now it sounds ridiculous, but I hadn't actually opened the bonnet till now since getting it home, so it was somewhat of a surprise to discover that the bonnet stay was not fitted. Nevermind tackling the face of the car then, off it was to the box of bits to recover all the bits. Well, nearly all the bits..

One of these appears to have gone walkies. Anyone got one spare? also, did I imagine that someone had remade the bonnet stay bits? mine are functional and starting to look less untidy after some dremel time today, but my memory swears blind there's easier options.

After discovering the missing bit stopping play on the bonnet, it was instead tackle the squiffy bumper and replace the indicators. Frustratingly, first thing I see getting under there to tackle that is that the stays between the chassis cross member and the front valance have been chopped off, and just left there in a twisted mess. Not hugely important for sure, but just very unprofessional - the original accident damaged valance was replaced before painting. I took them off and added some steel to my shopping list to fabricate some new ones. I also noticed that the cross member is not perfect, it'll do for a little while but I can see the whole subframe coming out and the engine getting more of a go over too in the not too distant future.

Back to the bumper.. thankfully the rest of it was less of a sob story.

Car in rally mode with the bumper off

I now have a nice matching pair of indicators on the bumper, and the poor bumper alignment looks to have been the result of another parking shunt - the off side bumper bracket was rather bent. Figuring I can't make it any worse I subjected it to a vice and some brute force, with surprisingly successful results, so I'm going to refit and see how it looks on the car.

Whilst I had my can't make it any worse shoes on, and figuring I'd get the bumpers tidied and re-chromed at some point, I went after a large dent in the chrome with a cloth and a set of mole grips, and again to my amazement, managed to make it 90% better without even leaving any jaw marks on it.

I would probably have managed to get the bumper back together but I figured having the bumper off the car would make it a lot easier to fit the new numberplates, sadly my pile of numberplate fixings has gone awry, so another item for the shopping list - along with some polishing mob bits and some autosol.. may as well do all I can for the bumpers now eh!

Overall a positive afternoon despite the frustrations along the way.

Current:

Former Lancias
SanRemo78

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2023, 09:09:34 PM »

Aren't the bumpers polished stainless steel?
Did the missing bonnet prop part turn up? I got some spare parts a month ago and there may have been one in there, I'll try to have a look tomorrow afternoon post dental visit!

Guy

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: