Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:30:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS Tracker  (Read 2045 times)
Nigel

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: November 06, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »

Good day all,

As my car is running and driving i'm wanting to install the above or similar.

Has anyone experience of a particular make and model that works well, and that doesn't drain the battery too
quickly? Or types to avoid.

There are huge options on ebay, ranging from as little as a fiver, up to huge numbers, it's all a little daunting!

I'd just like to find my car should the unthinkable happen.

Regards
Nige

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
George-S

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 11:47:05 PM »

Hi Nigel,

I am also thinking of doing this in the near future.
From what I have read sounds like the best options are the ones that you charge yourself without being hooked up to the battery.
You can get ones that last from around 30-60days before needing a recharge.

I wouldn't get one that relies on the car battery connection as thieves seem fairly clued up on how to disconnect them, It may also be worth installing a really obvious fake dummy unit as a decoy.

I was looking at getting this one personally.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TKSTAR-TK905-Rechargable-Positioning-Waterproof/dp/B071FQNQ1L/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=car+tracker&qid=1604702596&quartzVehicle=831-564&replacementKeywords=car&sr=8-3

Cheers George
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 09:37:56 AM »

Hi Nigel

I have direct experience in a way. My BMW 540 was stolen from my drive in October last year by thieves breaking into my house whilst I slept and stealing the keys!  Research lock snapping to avoid this! Fortunately I had a Navman Trackstar installed professionally (it has a battery backup). These lovely characters went through the car and threw everything out the window that might vaguely be a tracker like my speed camera box. They also ripped the headlining around the aerial apart hunting for a Tracker because they know where these are installed! They left the car in a hotel car park near Heathrow to cool off. Fortunately the Navman team were on it immediately and I had one of the CD guys get up from my sofa and get it recovered as the Met were not responding! I got the car back eventually i.e. in time for Christmas last year and they caught the thieves although they have not been brought to trial yet. I really hope they were not bailed, but fear the worst.

This is Pro theft by organized crime whilst our cars are a target for opportunists, joy riders and people wanting parts. I fitted a Classic Tracker, immobilizer and Sold Secure Steering wheel lock to my Montecarlo. BTW there are only 2 Steering wheel/ handbrake/ gear lever locks that will resist a thief for more than 5 minutes most are gone in seconds quietly! Auto Express did a nice article on this you can find online. IMHO it is a scandal that people are still selling these useless items.

My Beta Spider is a unique car and will be getting a Thatcham Cat2 alarm imobiliser with tilt sensor and pager plus a Navman Trackstar. I have already installed some of the alarm switches. GPS trackers tucked under seats are too easily found I suggest getting 2 and being creative with where you put them.

I hope this helps

Eric 
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 09:42:51 AM »

I forgot to mention Classic Tracker and some better Alarms include remote immobilizers. This means I can turn my car off from my phone and know exactly where it is. In my case this would take days to find.

Eric
betabuoy

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 10:59:27 AM »

Hi Nigel

I went to tracker.co.uk and use their ‘retrieve battery power’.  As it states, this runs on its 5-yr internal battery so is ideal to prevent draining the car battery and also to function if you disconnect the car battery during storage.

Chris

1979 Beta Coupe S2FL (1st registered May 1983!)
1967 Morris Minor Traveller
1925 Austin 7 Chummy
Nigel

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »

All,
You have convinced me that a car battery-powered unit is not the best option.
I like the idea of obtaining 2 units, and having the obvious redundancy but also even if one is found,
a second won't be suspected or expected!

I appreciate all your comments and stories.
Eric, yes, lock snapping is a common issue. All my Euro cylinders are sized to be flush to help prevent this.

Thanks!

Nige

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
Mat Grant

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 02:56:08 PM »

Hi all,

i'd also like to get some sort of tracker, but please can someone explain - what SIM / contract do you need? Can you use a "SIM only" pay as you go? Or do you need a contract?

Thanks, Mat.
George-S

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 03:42:56 PM »

You can normally use any sim card for this sort of thing.

Any of these will probably do https://www.4g.co.uk/data-only-sim/
If you want something that has no contract term then GiffGaff is your best place, You still pay monthly but can cancel at any time.

https://www.giffgaff.com/sim-only-plans?ggCampaign=PS_G_Brand_Exact_Brand-SIM-Plus&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAnvj9BRA4EiwAuUMDf05hQVJrw_J9DrQKdI_qBMlK1WA-cdRKZXmPi_06rxeNXiXYk7WHPBoCIF4QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just check when you buy your tracker it doesn't come with a simcard already.

Cheers George
Mat Grant

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 07:43:51 PM »

Thanks Orbital - I'll take a look. I'm not too up on mobile phone contracts as the only ones i have used for about the last 10 years have been company ones Cheesy

Mat.
mtulloch

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 09:54:17 PM »

I've used these on trackers;

https://www.1pmobile.com/index.taf?msclkid=767ff886eed81011f273a7382adac8b4

It's only 1p per day usage.

PM me for a link if you want, it'll get you a discount.
Mat Grant

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:32 PM »

Thanks mtulloch, i'll send a pm.

Cheers, Mat.
Mat Grant

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2020, 12:02:56 PM »

Hi all,

Just to update on this, i have bought a tracker (quite similar to the one George has linked above) - Mine was £32 inc postage. It is about half the size of a typical smartphone, but thicker. I've taken out a 1p mobile contract, and it works well. 1p per message, or £10 every 4 months if the value of my usage is less than £10 in that period. I've stuck it in my family car and tested it, it gets a signal even inside a shopping centre multistory car park.

And it's simple enough even I can use it! I have the number in my phone, I call it and get a text message back with a google maps image, latitude and longitude co-ordinates, and a link to google maps.

I just need to find space on the car where it will take a lot of dismantling to get to, but have the charge wire accessible but disguised, as it will need charging once in a while. I've just pinged it - batt level was 100% on (7th Dec), and is now 80% (20 Dec), so looks like it will last a few months between charges. I've pinged it about 10 / 15 times to see how well it works, so batt usage may be less if I leave it alone!

Thanks to everyone on here for the suggestions and advice on phone contracts etc.

Cheers, Mat.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: