Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:48:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Russian steel story (again!)  (Read 1536 times)
GerardJPC

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 26, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »

Many modern car enthusiasts are unduly influenced by Jeremy Clarkson, a man who relays glib pub wisdom as fact, but even some classic car enthusiasts will regularly claim that Lancias, Fiats, and Alfas of the 1970s were made from steel procured from Russia.  I have even seen it suggested that this was because the Italian Government was Communist (this is nonsense, Italy has never had a Communist Government).

Try as I may, I can find no reliable evidence on whether or not 1970s Italian car factories used steel that was much different to that used by car manufacturers elsewhere.  As a BL enthusiast I know that BL cars are just as prone to rust as Italian cars are, and I gather that Fords, BMWs, Renaults, Hondas etc of the 1970s all rust if allowed to do so.    Design errors and poor or non-existent protective techniques seem more likely to be the cause across the board than quality of steel.   Notably, noughties Mercedes rust, and nobody says that this is because of any dodgy deals done with questionable regimes.

I am familiar with the Daily Mirror and That's Life's exaggerated campaigns, and with Lancia's very ill judged PR handling of the story.   What I can't find is any clear evidence on the steel issue.  Even Wim Oude Weerninck in "La Lancia"  devotes no more than one throwaway sentence to the point.

Of the five Betas, one 73 Fiat, and one 77 Alfa that I have owned, all have been about as rusty as any decades old car might be, depending on their treatment by owners.   My Fiat has been bodged and patched and filled by many blokes in sheds.  Its arches are full of bleb, because it is 47 years old and has done 115,000 miles.  My Alfa rusted when parked outdoors near the seaside.  No surprise there.  One of my Betas was mega rusty.  One was a parts car with holes in its panels.  The others have all been pretty good, with bits of welding here and there.   My current Beta was Ziebarted, was probably garaged, and is in pretty good condition for a car that is over 41 years old.

Does anyone have any reliably sourced evidence as to the steel story?  Convincing Clarksonesque internet pub bores who have never even sat in any Italian car that they are wrong is next to impossible, but it would be interesting to know what the straight skinny is.

1979 Beta 1600 Coupe

1962 Lancia Appia Series 3 Berlina
1973 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe 1800
1973 Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
1981 Lotus Eclat Series 2
1981 Yamaha YB 100
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza
1983 Land Rover Series 3 88
2005 Alfa Romeo 156 Crosswagon Q4
2009 Jaguar XK Coupe 5.0
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 12:19:57 PM »

The story is often further elaborated by stating that the steel was part payment for the old Fiat 124 production line bought to produce the Lada. Again, no idea if this is true, but the USSR did have limited reserves of foreign currency. As you say though, all 70s cars rusted unless very carefully cared for, so it's a bit of a so what story, even if it is true....
WestonTB

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:34:27 PM »

I only know what we all know, but from what I have read the russians did pay part currency and part in steel.
Many years ago in an old journal/news sheet or Viva Lancia I do remember someone who had access  to MOD test facilities, he had some Beta steel tested and it was found to be low grade suitable for white goods etc, maybe Lancia/Fiat should have sent a metallurgist over to double check!

HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 05:19:52 PM »

This page has links to some US Government archives  - now moved annoyingly but if you had the time to search for them it might be interesting reading.

https://forums.autosport.com/topic/50790-italian-cars-and-soviet-steel/
GerardJPC

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »

Thanks for that helpful link.

1979 Beta 1600 Coupe

1962 Lancia Appia Series 3 Berlina
1973 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe 1800
1973 Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
1981 Lotus Eclat Series 2
1981 Yamaha YB 100
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza