Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:36:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LHD to RHD conversion?  (Read 2969 times)
megaera

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 14, 2020, 12:50:44 PM »

So...... as in the title, really.

Has anyone carried out a left to right hand drive conversion?

If so - could you tell me how straightforward it is? Apart from the obvious bits (dash, steering rack, servo, pedal box, wiper arms, some wiring) are there any other bits required?

This would be on a late 2000ie, with a compatible donor vehicle and is very much a hypothetical idea, at the monent.

Thank
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 04:32:11 PM »

With a good complete donor vehicle this is definitely possible. Expect to strip the engine bays and cabins of both cars and to be swapping the firewall over between the shells along with the steering column support structure. This is cutting and welding so great care will be needed to protect external paint and any glass left in the shell. I assume your idea is to find a LHD car from somewhere hot and dry so without our typical rust and make it RHD.

I think I would want to be sure it can be registered in the UK without a Q Plate before going too far.

Good Luck

Eric

megaera

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 04:44:40 PM »

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I already have a superb one-previous-owner LHD 2000ie - with a mere 45,000 miles.

I was quite happy to leave things as they are - but the chance of a RHD donor vehicle gave me the chance to consider a conversion. To be honest, I was rather hoping the firewall would be manufactured as either/or LHD/RHD - to save on tooling at the factory. So, the requisite number of openings would be available for both options....?

If, as you suggest, this would need cutting and swopping over between the two vehicles - I think I may just keep it as a “leftie”. The car is in really excellent condition and I wouldn’t want to potentially  mess things up..... if, however, it was just a case of changing over various components etc....well, that I would definitely be happy to do.

Maybe I can check on the microfiche for firewall differences?

Thanks again
megaera

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 06:42:43 PM »

Oh, well....that’s the end of that idea Wink

01 - sx
02 - dx

* E088726A-12CC-4F74-92A8-21CADF713E4B.jpeg (1175.33 KB, 2250x3000 - viewed 179 times.)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: