Lancia Beta Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:13:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a Spider, any advice?  (Read 3048 times)
macaroni

« on: September 02, 2009, 07:25:54 PM »

Hi,
the novelty of my 1982 Matra Murena is wearing thin and I am looking at a Beta Spider, for some top down fun.

I have found one, been kept in an underground garage for the last 16 years and not even done 10k miles in that time. It was started every month and MOT'd every year, at seemingly great expense!

It is going to get a new cambelt and water pump before sale.

I have had a quick look round it, the sills and floorpan all seem solid, as do the inner wings and boot floor. The only area of rust I can see is below a corner of the windscreen, about 1" square.

Where else should I look for rust? I appreciate that the windscreen scuttle spot could be a hint of a multitude of sins.
Also, is it easy to fit rear seatbelts in a Spider? If not, the deal is off!
It started easily, but the ignition switch seems a bit dodgy.

Any help gratefully received. This car seems to good to be true (its almost like a dream find; no expense spared, hardly used, virtually rust-free!) and I would really like to buy it, pending the sale of the Matra.

Cheers,

Antony
Thotos

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 08:45:24 PM »

Hmmm...  I always liked the Murena (even though I prefer the Bacheera -  no offence meant). Where is your Murena advertised?

Theo Kyriacou
macaroni

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 08:48:54 PM »

Why the Bagheera? The Murena is better in every way! Better engine (2.2OHC) and no rust (fully galvanised chassis).
It isn't advertised yet, as I have a few leads from selling another Murena a few months ago.

If you want anymore info, email me on antonypalourti@hotmail.com.

Cheers,

Antony
snapper8v

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:09:53 PM »

Hi,
the novelty of my 1982 Matra Murena is wearing thin and I am looking at a Beta Spider, for some top down fun.

I have found one, been kept in an underground garage for the last 16 years and not even done 10k miles in that time. It was started every month and MOT'd every year, at seemingly great expense!

It is going to get a new cambelt and water pump before sale.

I have had a quick look round it, the sills and floorpan all seem solid, as do the inner wings and boot floor. The only area of rust I can see is below a corner of the windscreen, about 1" square.

Where else should I look for rust? I appreciate that the windscreen scuttle spot could be a hint of a multitude of sins.
Also, is it easy to fit rear seatbelts in a Spider? If not, the deal is off!
It started easily, but the ignition switch seems a bit dodgy.

Any help gratefully received. This car seems to good to be true (its almost like a dream find; no expense spared, hardly used, virtually rust-free!) and I would really like to buy it, pending the sale of the Matra.

Cheers,

Antony

I had a Spider and it's quite easy fitting rear belt(s). You'll need to remove the rear parcel shelf (o.k. it's a piece of plywood covered in PVC) and drill a hole for the top plate and make a hole in the "parcel shelf". Then (from memory) remove the rear seat cushion and there'll already be holes drilled for the other attachments. As for other areas, just check the rear suspension turrets as they are prone to rot. Hopefully you've found yourself a good one  Grin.

LAWRENCE 
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 11:22:05 PM »

Why the Bagheera?

Well, if I knew enough about these cars I would know how to spell it for starters! I like the purity in looks of the Bagheera (designed by a Greek!  Cheesy) while I find the Murena a bit too 'pointy' for my tastes (although designed by the same Greek fellow who also designed the original Espace and the Picasso amongst others). And I think the "Matra Simca Berlinetta Bagheera S"  has the best sounding car name ever! Just imagine being asked in the pub "what do you drive" and beeing able to say "a Matra Simca Berlinetta Bagheera S" !   Grin

Theo Kyriacou
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:46:29 PM »

Where else should I look for rust?

lift the carpets around the rear wheelarches in the boot go right up as high as the strut top mounts  and look very critically around that area also from the outside the area below the rectangular pattern in the inner arch. front cross-member behind the bumper are known to go. Except on very early cars the rear subframe mounts that are infamous for the rust scandal recalls/buy back are usually perfect even though they are the source of a lot of bar experts banter. Screen surround rot can be a problem difficult to repair unless superficial. I presume it is on original sills?? they are different on a spider with an aditional step outwards for increased rigidity does it still have the trim strips below the doors? in most cases if they are missing it's a sure sign of bodged repairs as they don't fit right if the sills are wrong. other than that usual stuff really spiders don't seem to have survived well probably because they were built ,at least partially, at zagato
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 11:51:10 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »

Other areas to look at :

Outer edges of the floorpan just under the chrome carpet finishers - there's a designed in rust trap there.
Bottom of the rear wing where they meet the sills.
Front strut tops on cars without wing liners.
Boot floor around the sides.
Rear wheelarches inner and outer

What year is it ?
macaroni

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:15:56 PM »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to have to go and have another look!

Its a 1981.

It will come with a new MOT, so any serious rust should get spotted.

Cheers,

Antony
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »

It will come with a new MOT, so any serious rust should get spotted.

Antony

Sadly not in my experience - my spider got an MOT when the most rudimentary poking around would have reaveled the lacework that used to be the rear turrets.

Obviosuly for your sake I hope it is fairly rust free but don't rely on the MOT for it.

Stuart
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: